View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #42
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

With Jack Yoo, I have a kick holding of 77. Therefore, I don’t need a third string QB to be a good holder unless they are really good. Tom Kearney does have a holding of 96, so that would be possible.

Ellard: A good west coast QB. Strong stats in short passes, screen, solid but not spectacular accuracy. Adequate medium passing poor long and deep passing. Timing is adequate. Sort of like Chad Pennington. Only a 41 sense rush and doesn’t read defenses at all.

Holliday: Like a bad McElroy. Where McElroy has just a 30 in accuracy, Holliday has 15. Holliday is also great at the long and deep ball while acceptable at the medium game. He doesn’t even know there are shorter plays in the playbooks. Timing of 70 is pretty good, but his sense rush is woeful. He can read a defense about as well as Ellard, which is to say that he thinks he is playing Madden out there, and not actually supposed to figure out what is going on. Good deep ball and third down passing with no sense of rush, short passes and reading defense. That he is similar to MeElroy means our game scheme would be the same if for some reason Jack Yoo went down for the long term or permanently.

Kearney: From the football powerhouse of Livingstone. It’s rare that I have never heard of a college a person is from, since I work in the higher ed world. Good medium passes. Acceptable short and deep passes. Poor at the long and screen balls. It’s hard to game plan around little deep ball and yet have some deep balls tossed occasionally. Accuracy potential of 52, timing of 100 and he has my attention. Adequate third down. Another back poor at sensing the rush. Read defense can get to 56, which is the first one who actually knows the defense exists. Summation – knows medium ball, has good intangibles, poor at long ball and screens and sensing the rush.

Newton: This is like a David Carr type back. 0 sense pass rush. Poor medium passes but adequate at the other four areas. In fact, this is Mr. Adequate. He’s at about 50 or 60 potential in everything except medium passé and sense rush. With no major areas of strength, he at last has no major weakness, except for that glaring hole at medium passes. You simply cannot scheme well with reduced medium length passes. On the other hand, you don’t need to worry about him with all of the weaknesses that the other QBs have.

All of these are weak at sensing the rush, so Newton’s weakness there isn’t as glaring. Ellard is the best and he’s barely adequate there, and the rest are just poor.

No one has a good pass list. I could take good short, medium, poor long and deep, that I could plan around, as an example. Every QB has a pass hole:

Ellard: Long, Deep
Holliday: Short, Screen sorta
Kearney: Long, Screen
Newton: Medium

Of those, the one that is easiest to gameplan around is Ellard. However, only Newton has just one hole.

Accuracy, which is important to me. In this order from most to least: Newton, Ellard Kearney, Holliday. Newton and Ellard each have mid to high sixties. Hollidya just sucks here. Kearney has a 52 which doesn’t suck.

Intangibles: Sense rush, timing, 3rd down, read defense.. What weaknesses do they have:

Ellard: Read defense, sorta third down, sorta sense rush (Sorta is high 30’s, low 40s)
Holliday: Read defense, sense rush
Kearney: Sense rush
Newton: Sense rush

Ellard does not look good hear, neither does Holliday. However, who just nails a stat? (70+)

Ellard: None
Holliday: 3rd down passing and timing, each at 70 potential
Kearney: 88/100 timing
Newton: None

So, although Holliday has problems he is also gifted in areas

Who do I take and who do I drop?

I don’t want my backup to screw up. Therefore, I care more about problems than gifts. That makes Newton a strong choice.

I can also cut Holliday for the same reason.

It’s easier to gameplan Ellard, but he is the weakest at the intangibles after Holliday is cut. Who do I go for?

I go for Ellard, because he does have that strength in passing skills to fall back upon.

Therefore, I cut Kearney and Holliday.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote