View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 03:45 PM   #73
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Got the recipe book for this today and there are some interesting concoctions in there. Looking forward to trying it out. We have some chicken and fish to get through still, but when they are gone I plan on giving this a serious effort. I will use a whey protein supplement, but apart from that stay true to the diet.

I want to tag on to CU Tigers post too as he brings up an interesting point about staying active while living an "unhealthy" lifestyle.

I think you can look at NFL players for a partial answer to this. during their careers they really eat a less than healthy diet for the most part loaded with carbs, calories and fat to get the protein and fuel they need for their high level of exercise/performance. They burn a ton of calories and reap the benefits of elite level exercise, but also have a shorter life span than the average population.

How much of this is due to the physical toll of playing football at that level takes on the body, vs how much can be attributed to maintaining the same type of diet, while becoming sedentary or reducing their physical activity a great deal would make for an interesting debate. I would love to see a study on this.

I think he presented an interesting point on the activity / diet argument. That said, I don't think looking at former NFL players tells you anything on this as there is just too many other variables to account for. The physical toll on the body, possible steroid use, changing activity level (but keeping same diet) once retired, etc...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote