Old 08-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #56
Radii
Head Coach

May 21sh, 2014

North American Open Cup - Second Qualifying Round

Wake Forest Cougars vs Montgomery Yellowhammers

Attendence: 500

-- our first sellout!

-- Montgomery are large 1-2 favorites today, we're 9-2 to win.

Starting Lineup

GK: Gyan
D: Coggins/Galvis/Garcia/Arroyo
DM: Pena
M: Glaser/Shakespeare
AM: Colangelo/Crook
ST: Navarro

We change all but Galvis/Arroyo/Navarro in this one.

Defensive mindset against the presumably stronger team.

2': They earn a corner, we head it away but not very far, they control still in the penalty area, one pass to an open man, easy goal. 0-1

5': A long run of possession for Wake Forest, mostly up the middle on offense, Navarro gets a pass 25 yards out, holds it nicely, Colangelo cuts, NAvarro hits him with the pass, great shot, goal!! 1-1

7': Highlight opens with NAvarro making a run into the right sid eof hte area, he holds it up to wait for help, passes to Shakespeare, he puts it in! 2-1

-- that's 5 shots, 3 goals between the two teams.

We saw one highlight the rest of the half, of Navarro putting a shot well wide.

HALF: Navarro with two assists, very nice!

60': They intercept a pass in midfield and get the ball ahead quickly, a shot from the left side of the penalty area is saved by Gyan.

70': We're seeing them attack more here, Arroyo with a nice header to stop a cross coming in, they recover and shoot and Gyan has to make a save, turning it behind for a corner. Pena sends the corner away.

73': We drop back to a 4-1-4-1 formation, Shakespeare moves over to ML, Perkins comes in for Colangelo and will play in the center of the midfield.

79': Tapia in for Pena at DMC.

85': A long goal kick from their keeper, we miss it and it takes a high bounce behind the defense, their striker has a 1 on 1 against Gyan.. Gyan rushes out, and stops the shot!!

That's it! We seem to play pretty well as underdogs, at home at least!

Wake Forest 2 : 1 Montgomery

Man of the Match: Ronnie Navarro (8.3)
Goals: Colangelo (7.3), Shakespeare (7.9)
Assists: Navarro 2
Notables: Glaser (7.0)

Coggins with a pretty rough 6.3 rating at DL today.

-- We receive $31,000 for the win. That's a huge amount for this team. We actually have $100,000 in the bank now. The team has brought in $127,000 this year so far, and $70,000 of that is from prize money.

-- I take advantage of the good mood and ask the board if I can hire another physio and another coach, they agree immediately on the physio, they don't agree on the coach, but I plead with them and state that our players can't reach their potential without it, and they relent. I'm not sure why they care, the coaches are working for free anyway.

I make a couple coaching offers.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote