View Single Post
Old 03-17-2023, 11:19 PM   #471
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
This doesn't include $6.25 million in immediate top-51 room for the draft.

They're also committing to a $33+ million cap bomb for 2024 if he retires, and 2024 is injury-guaranteed. But then I think it's less of a bomb, only a similar amount in annual dead cap while the whole deal expires in 2026.

It's going to be tough for them. Teams do it all the time, but this will put a big strain on 2024.

Green Bay still has to eat a lot of 2024 cap room to move him, but that's there regardless - they'd be eating a lot more if they didn't move this year's option bonus to the Jets.

In the end, this is what a quarterback costs. There's just nothing to renegotiate down to make room for anything else. His salary is already sequential blocks of option money.

exactly -- but the jets will need the rookie pool money only after the draft. by then, they can easily do something with carl lawson or restructure cj mosley.

the main problem will be 2025 if rodgers retires after this season. if he plays in 2024, 2025 and 2026 become cap hell years.

one advantage of the team option bonuses is for players near retirement, like rodgers. he will only earn that if he plays. i think we'll see more and more the option bonuses being used in lieu of signing bonuses for players with a yr or two left on their careers.

i find these contracts fascinating -- the packers must have thought that they were extending their championship window by another yr last season when they signed rodgers to that contract. and that rodgers would retire after last season. who can blame them after the 2021 season results.

the jets, conversely, are banking that they are in a situation similar to denver's when they got peyton manning. no reason to take on a contract like rodgers' if you are not a contender.

Last edited by tzach : 03-17-2023 at 11:22 PM.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote