View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 02:49 PM   #168
QuikSand
lolzcat

FINAL FA STAGES (Weeks 16-20)
Re-signings, no competition: WR Dwayne Patter, C Drew Bullock, DE Lonnie Vance, S Brock Pearson, WR Tommy Henson
Re-signings, with competition:
New players signed:
Players signed away: DE Dwayne Zawilinksi

As contract demands decline in these late stages, I make a couple offers. I don’t feel like we are particularly vulnerable on many of our unrestricted free agents – I have some veteran guys to sign, but I think squeezing them down (by waiting until after the draft) is pretty safe here.

One exception is DE Lonnie Vance, who is no star, but I’m just worried about our overall depth at the DE position, so I want to lock him up.

I also conclude that I don’t want to take a risk with WR Tommy Henson, a position leader, so I pay to get him re-signed now, rather than risk seeing him sign elsewhere out of the blue. Same goes for S Brock Pearson and C Drew Bullock – might as well lock up the centerpieces for our perfect affinity groups while we can.

I check out the remaining free agents – looking for any veterans who might be solid additions.

CB Jay Lolicht might be the next great value pickup for us at the cornerback slot – pretty decent fourth year player, solid in bump coverage (50), and decent all-around skills. He ought to fit nicely into our rotation, maybe as a dime back for us, but definitely good for depth – and he’s very cheap.

I have another veteran OL who is worth watching – RT Alonzo Locklear. This year, I don’t want to sign him, as he would take over the position leadership from Bullock, but for next year, he could come aboard and perhaps be our leader – with a high personality rating, we might maintain the strong affinities we have now. He’s a 12th year guy, and a very good fit. Plan is to tuck him away – but I’ll try to sign him if someone else comes up with a multi-year offer.

In the very last stage, DE Dwayne Zawilinski gets signed by Tampa Bay. He was not very effective for us last season – my biggest concern is just the dearth of decent defensive ends for us. It will be a top priority spot for the rookie draft, you can be sure.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote