View Single Post
Old 07-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #107
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Thanks all - I appreciate the kind words. We're actually thinking of having him join up in teh community soccer league this year, but we have concerns that it may be too rough for him. Aspies (as they are called) have a real problem when they can't be perfect at something - they must always "win" and/or do things perfectly the right time. As you can understand, you can't possibly do things perfect the first time, and so they become incredibly frustrated. We want our child to understand camaraderie and team environments, but we're also afraid that we may be setting him up for something that he's just not ready to deal with. Yet another thing to discuss with the therapist...

Today was a pretty good day - only a few "I 'accidentally' pushed my sister"s, but other than that he was pretty good.

I'm now subscribing to a Delphi Forum devoted to the syndrome, and I'm finding it comforting to see other people in the EXACT same boat my wife and I are in.

Eagle, I know they say Asperger's is part of the autism spectrum. Is that a definite, or just a theory? My wife and I are considering getting autism awareness magnets for our cars, but my concern is that Asperger's is such a "different" form of autism that a magnet really will not do much. A magnet isn't going to teach others that my child's obnoxious behavior is because he has sensitivity to loud sounds, bright sunlight, etc., and has very little comprehension of other's feelings. When I think of autism, I think of the child staring out the window for hours at a time with very little human interaction. My son is nothing like that- but if my wife and I didn't have a child like him I would have never know there are varying degrees of autism. I'm just concerned that if other people think he's autistic they obviously will not have the level of education my wife and I have on the subject and therefore will label him and possibly blacklist him.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote