View Single Post
Old 09-19-2005, 12:17 PM   #115
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Craig - as a very recent parent of a 1st-grader (we survived 1st, now in 2nd), let me assure you that the sight of "very unhappy child" isn't one that's unknown around here either.

While I'm sure that your situation has plenty of extraordinary challenges specific to the situation, I just wanted to mention that there's also a variety of very common issues that can influence happiness (and ultimately both their attitude about going to school as well as their behavior/performance once they're there).

Absent any of the issues you've mentioned in this thread, my experience says that it doesn't take a lot to send a kid into a tailspin of sorts, with peer social dynamics leading the field of candidates for problems.

Crap, I think I probably just talked around that enough to make no sense -- what I'm trying to say is just that I hope you remember to examine all of the routine causes for upset in addition to the extra challenges you're facing. In my mind, it'd be awfully easy to overlook something simple since you've had to deal with so much that's complex.

Hope that makes sense, I wish you very well in your efforts.