View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 10:41 PM   #129
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
What causes autism and Asperbergers? Is it a chemical inbalance, something genetic?

The answer to those questions is the very basis of an NIMH grant that I was starting to work on at LSU before the storm hit. The answer is we don't know, but there are MANY theories including thimerosal in vaccinations (which I don't believe), genetic abnormalities, perinatal insults (such as viruses), high level of toxins in seafood, power plant lines being close, nuclear power plants being close etc. Basically, we have many theories but no hard core evidence yet. However, the circumstantial evidence is very strong that thiomersal in the vaccinations is NOT a cause. Some parents choose not to vaccinate kids because of that belief, and I personally think that is a VERY bad choice. I actually had a paper published in a small journal in which I did a literature review of 17 articles adressing the issue of vaccinations causing autism and most of the research does not support vaccinations as a cause.

However, I don't want to threadjack.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 09-20-2005 at 10:46 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote