View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 11:47 AM   #145
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Well...it's odd but you sometimes led to believe that you're making a mistake by being a good parent. We read to both our kids every day, and we encourage them to learn, play, etc. on their own. Through osmosis they've learned a lot of things. Now, when they go to school, my 4 year old girl is expected to learn the different parts of her body, what the letter "A" looks like, and that buttercups are yellow. We collectively roll our eyes as we know this will bore her, but we look forward to the social learning she'll get by interacting with other children. However, it amazes me what little they expect of incoming preschoolers and kindgergardners.

Same thing with my son - he KNOWS the material, but has no interest in doing anything that's labeled "work". He actually was taking a reading test to get a baseline IQ - the words he was to read were in columns. After flying through column 1, he refused to read column 2 because it was "stupid" and "boring". We know he's bright, his teacher says he's bright - he just doesn't want to do work. I'm not really sure if the work needs to be more challenging...he only wants to focus on what HE wants to focus on - otherwise it's not fun and thus "stupid and boring".
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote