View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 12:05 PM   #146
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Well...it's odd but you sometimes led to believe that you're making a mistake by being a good parent. We read to both our kids every day, and we encourage them to learn, play, etc. on their own. Through osmosis they've learned a lot of things. Now, when they go to school, my 4 year old girl is expected to learn the different parts of her body, what the letter "A" looks like, and that buttercups are yellow. We collectively roll our eyes as we know this will bore her, but we look forward to the social learning she'll get by interacting with other children. However, it amazes me what little they expect of incoming preschoolers and kindgergardners.

Same thing with my son - he KNOWS the material, but has no interest in doing anything that's labeled "work". He actually was taking a reading test to get a baseline IQ - the words he was to read were in columns. After flying through column 1, he refused to read column 2 because it was "stupid" and "boring". We know he's bright, his teacher says he's bright - he just doesn't want to do work. I'm not really sure if the work needs to be more challenging...he only wants to focus on what HE wants to focus on - otherwise it's not fun and thus "stupid and boring".

Craig,

One thing I just thought of, my son used to do some of the same things you're referring to with regards to work. He would rip through some things, then all of sudden stop and say he didn't want to do it. We've found out that one of the reasons for that is that he's a bit of a perfectionist. He doesn't want to make a mistake in front of anyone - so rather than risk getting an answer wrong, he simply choses not to answer at all. We've worked with him on understanding that making mistakes is how we learn and get smarter and it has helped tremendously. Might want to investigate it - can't hurt.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote