View Single Post
Old 02-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #155
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Sounds like the benefit to creating a smaller monopoly is the chance to root out a pirate if you are denied. But the downside is much greater, you will have less money in your pool, making it more difficult to win. Basically someone else trying to create a monopoly or pirates have a greater chance (than against a large monopoly) to achieve the gold standard of winning. Then, as Barkeep said, it takes a lot to create a monopoly, making less of a strategy to create at this point in the game.

Also, what exactly does the monopoly do? I would guess from what I have read, it means your group pools their money to win. From the rules, once monopoly is achieved, the Treasure Hunters (“TH”) who participated WIN. It is the only way for us TH to win. You can’t win individually and you can’t win if you are not in the Monopoly. Since achieving Monopoly makes you win, then there can only be one. I would think our best bet is to try and achieve monopoly with all TH. Otherwise it gives a TH reason to sabotage the monopoly or elitists from the perspective of those excluded.

It may be a pirate strategy to try and stay in our monopoly to block us from winning.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote