View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #14
Logan
Head Coach

I'll jump in on this as well.

Background: About 3-4 years ago, I was at my highest weight of 330 lbs (I'm about 5'10"). With some hard work (and during college, it's even harder with the poor eating conditions and the excessive drinking), I dropped about 130 lbs. I never got fully below the 200 mark, but I was right around it. By the time I graduated a year and a half ago, I was probably around 210. Once I started working, I slooowwwwly felt myself adding some extra pounds, as my exercise basically only consisted of walking around the city.

Recently I felt my work clothes getting a little tighter. Got back on the scale and it read 234.5 (granted it was at night, so it was probably a little inflated...but god damn, not nearly as much as I wish it was). That was on Monday night (9/4...my 23rd birthday). So starting Tuesday, my diet began.

The plan: Thinking about it logically, it's easy to see how I've put on weight. I've simply been eating too much. I would eat a Weight Watchers bagel for breakfast (with margarine and a slice of 2% milk american cheese) everyday. I would usually have some sort of granola bar in mid-morning and again mid-afternoon. That was along with a lunch that was way unhealthier than what I should be having (ie turkey sandwich and a bag of baked chips/pretzels). When I got home from work, since I was so hungry, I would have some other kind of snack before dinner (which are usually fairly healthy meals). Then after dinner, it was another snack. So it's very easy to see that I was eating too much. Even worse, I was eating because I was hungry, not because I was stuffing myself unnecessarily. So my appetite had grown. Bad news.

Exercise: I hate lifting weights. I just find it very boring, so therefore, I lose interest. When I lost weight before, my primary method of exercise was the bike at the gym. I don't think I'll be joining a gym again, as it would be hard for me to get there after work. About a year ago, I bought one of those stand-up heavy punching bags that you can fill in with sand or water (to a weight of about 350-400 lbs, so it's sturdy). It's great exercise, as it works a lot of muscles, and I sweat like a pig when I use it. I enjoyed it, but I started having to go out of town for work, so when I came back, I lost my rhythm and eventually lost interest.

The plan: My diet has already changed. Same breakfast, one granola bar per day, smaller lunch (like I described above), nothing before dinner, and most importantly, nothing after dinner. When I lost all that weight a few years ago, I attributed the "no eating after dinner" to be the biggest reason for the weight drop.

I've followed the above diet since Tuesday and have had good results. The first couple days, I was STARVING at times. But that gradually faded away as my stomach got more accustomed to it. Now, I'm back on the schedule where I can basically go from meal to meal without being hungry. And so far, I haven't eaten past dinner. I've also gone back to hitting the punching bag for a half hour at a time, and I've done it for 3 of 4 days (get pretty sore doing it). The plan is to keep this up.

The goal: Right now, the plan is to go on a cruise with my girlfriend in April. And I know I'm way too chunky to do that right now. Therefore, I'm going to set a 6 month goal of 195 lbs. 40 lbs in 6 months is reasonable based on how I've lost weight in the past, but I know it will be tough when it gets to the last pounds.

Stats

Start: 234.5 lbs (9/4/06)
Current: 230.5 lbs (9/9/06)
Goal: 195 lbs (3/4/06)

Last edited by Logan : 09-09-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote