View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #262
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

My guild downed 10-Man Lich King today. Thought I'd brag where some people would actually care

The fight is suitably epic, though I must say I'm not a fan of the "put the really hard stuff in a phase that occurs late in the fight so the group has to put up with 5+ minutes of boring, easy crap before they even get to the real stuff" mechanics that Blizz seems to have employed with the Sindragosa and Lich King encounters. Similar to Kel'Thuzad back in Naxx, but with these two it seems to be to a greater degree. We downed him on our 2nd day of attempts - but we had wiped on him for 6 and a half hours today (including one wipe at 0.8%) before finally getting the kill.

The gear is underwhelming...the real jump is in heroic gear. I've had a hard time adjusting to a 10-man guild, however - I raided BC entirely in 25 mans, and until my recent return to the game (left a few weeks after Ulduar, came back the week they opened ICC) was also in 25-mans for WotLK. Now that we only seriously run 10-mans, it's difficult getting used to only running with "sub-par" gear.

I'm trying to also get a handle on how I feel about raid difficulty this expansion. I went from running my own guild made up of a bunch of really, really poor players (skill wise) who had become my friends while I learned how to play well, to forming a new guild with people who I wasn't quite as good friends with, but who were much better at the game. In this entire expansion, I've felt challenged exactly three times - Sartharion + 3 Drakes, Mimiron (we were a server 2nd pre-nerf kill) and the Lich King (also, for full disclosure, I left the game and wasn't able to experience Yogg or most of ToC as "current" content). Sindragosa and Putricide were slightly difficult, but not really a challenge. I don't know if I can honestly tell if the fights are easier, or it's just that I have surrounded myself with better players. The fact that once we got there, we one-shot Blood Queen Lana'thel was quite disappointing to me, especially since Putricide, Sindragosa and even Saurfang, to some extent, were noticeably more difficult than the bosses leading up to them.

I'll end the rant now...but damn, it feels good to have that Kingslayer title

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-04-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote