View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #126
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Tipping to me is associated with a service provided that goes above and beyond the "normal expected"

I always associated tipping with employee's individual efforts and service, not how impressive the company's product and manner of delivery is.

If a local pizza company sets up some system where they have a ton of locations and can get me a pizza in 2 minutes, that's pretty cool. But I don't see why that driver is personally more entitled to a tip than the guy in his shitty car who went through traffic and got me a pizza in 30 minutes. The "above and beyond" in the first example is all about the company and its system, so I would expect to pay that company more for its better system. It wasn't the driver that made the difference. He's not working any harder, he's just delivering more pizzas in a more efficient system. If anything, the driver in the worse system, or the UPS driver with a truck full of packages he got late, and has to get out by a deadline, is working harder and is more deserving of extra compensation direct from the customer.

Edit: Related to this is the whole fiction we've bought into that carrying an $8 beer to your table is more worthy of a tip than carrying a $4 beer to your table. I've submitted to the cultural norm on that one, but I will tip a higher % at a busier, cheaper restaurant than an expensive one.

Last edited by molson : 07-14-2015 at 11:48 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote