View Single Post
Old 07-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #17931
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
Bullshit. If you gave the tiniest fucking shit about "defending our institutions," you would have voted for Clinton in 2016 to prevent McConnell from benefitting from his fuckery with Garland. That was an attack on our institutions for political gain long before the Twitter Shitter in Chief took office, but you apparently gave no shits about that.

Nonsense. Here we have the last vestige of those without a good argument; presumption of motives and assassination of the same. I said the stonewalling of Garland was horribly wrong at the time, and I also said during the campaign that I wouldn't support Trump or Clinton for anything as important as dogcatcher. I stand by that assessment. We didn't have a campaign between a good candidate and a bad one; we had a campaign between two totally unacceptable ones. On that point I agree with the majority of America, the difference is in what I decided to do about it.

Quote:
The pressure, as PilotMan pointed out, should be on Senate Republicans to pull their head out of their asses instead of pretending that Trump is the only man who could ever have given the GOP what it wants on tax cuts, ACA, the judiciary, and on down the line.

Quote:
The Democratic House is under no obligation to fire the one bullet in their gun to useless effect just because you really really want them to.

This isn't an either/or situation. Both bear responsibility for how they have acted, and how they act now. I don't in any way absolve the GOP senate for ignoring Trump's misdeeds. As a Constitutional matter though, the House most definitely has a duty - and not just the Democrats in it but the Republicans as well. As a matter of process, the pressure will never be on the Senate to the degree it needs to be until they are required to go on the record that what Trump has done isn't impeachable, and they can't do that unless the House impeaches.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-19-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote