View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

9 September

I am never going to allow a first team player to play in a reserve match. Never.again.

Olivier Lickes, who's just getting back from an injury, and Almin Babacic, a utility defender who needed match fitness, both got hurt in today's reserve game!

Lickes complained of a dead leg after a rough challenge, and he's not hurt badly. He'll be back in about a week. Babacic banged his elbow hard, and he might miss three weeks.

As I looked at my reserve roster, I realized I don't have as many players as some of the other Promotion Division clubs. I guess I've done a good job of limiting my roster size, haven't I? I think I might try to sign a few young guys with the goal of developing them into the Rosport stars of the future. If I can't find them, I'll bring in a few journeymen who can fill out the reserves.

Today I got word of a very different kind of deal, however.

When I was looking to sign a striker a few weeks ago, I located a big, strong Congolese-Luxembourgish dude named Roland Saboga, playing for an amateur club called Wormeldange. His attributes jumped off the screen at me, so I decided to offer him. He wasn't interested, so I didn't think about him again.

The other day, a news item about him appeared in my inbox. For the heck of it, I decided to see if he might be interested in coming to play for us in January. Today I got his answer: yes.

Roland Saboga is a Mann. At age 34, his physical attributes are all in double digits, which is not the norm in the Luxembourg Promotion Division. He's not quite as impressive technically, but if he were, he'd be making a lot of money playing football somewhere. I'm looking forward to having him in the club.

To obey the spirit of my house rule, I'll need to let one of my strikers go on 1 January, when Roland arrives in town. And, to be fair, it shouldn't be a space-filler from the reserves; it should be Alex Pott, Anton Bozic, or Laurent Schiltz. After two matches, the people of Rosport are ready to put a statue of Schiltz in the town square, so it's safe to say he's got the early lead for one of the two spots.

Or, with the luck we've had lately, all the strikers will injure themselves........
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote