View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #27
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

2 December 2012

We have a nice break before we travel to Diekirch on the 8th. In the meantime, I investigated something that had caught my attention a few times.

Rosport are often described in the match write-ups as an experienced side, and I've noticed that our players' average age is often older than our opponents when I've looked at the pre-match comparisons. So I decided to take a closer look at that.

We are more of a veteran club than most of our Promotion Division opponents. The oldest players in our regular first XI are Carlos Ferreira and Andy Rakic, who are both 32. Laurent Schiltz and Alphonse Leweck are 30, Tim Heinz and Yannick Loose are 28, and Anton Bozic is 24.

We don't have a teenager in our first XI, and most of our opponents do. Our youngest regular is Billy Bernard, who is 21.

The Promotion Division teams who have been more successful so far this season tend to be those with more guys in their late 20s and early 30s. National Division clubs have more experienced players, too. Hopefully I've set up a club that will earn promotion and stay up for a while.

To add a little more youth to our club, I offered contracts to two of the "greyed-out" youth players on our U20 roster. Reinaldo Da Luz and Theo Backes are both 16. Da Luz is primarily a center back and Backes a central midfielder, but between them, they can cover every possible outfield spot except striker. I wish they were faster, but I envision them turning into valuable, versatile backups as they develop.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote