View Single Post
Old 07-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #32
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

1 January 2013

As the January transfer window opens, there are some new faces around FC Victoria Rosport. These players agreed to come to Rosport this fall, and as of today they are officially on board.

You already met Roland Saboga, the powerful Congolese-Luxembourger striker. Roland is 34, and he's had a few problems with injuries lately. However, when he is healthy, his strength, his composure, and his ability in the air make him a powerful presence.

With Saboga on board, as well as Schiltz, Bozic, and Pott, I didn't need to bring in another forward (even though I almost always play wth two STCs). However, when our scout spotted Jeremy Laroche, a natural trequartista who hadn't been with a club since his release from Jeunesse Esch in 2011, I decided to offer him a gig. Jeremy agreed to come on board last month, and he's been turning out for our reserves while we waited for the opportunity to register him. In three reserve matches, he's scored three goals. Laroche is a native of France who became eligible for Luxembourg this fall. He's as technically proficient as Laurent Schiltz, with a tiny bit less pace and a crowd-pleasing style. I wish he were younger (he just turned 32), but he should still have what it takes to help us win.

We added three very exciting younger players to our squad, all of whom play in the middle of the park. All three had been struggling to find playing time with National Division clubs, so they were eager to come to Rosport and compete for regular first team action.

Kevin Maiget (age 21) plays beside Billy Bernard on the Luxembourg U21 back line. He is a smaller, younger version of Tim Heinz, a rugged, reliable center back.

Thomas Battaglia (20) is a DMC who was being shuffled all over the middle of the pitch by Grevenmacher. I might use a 4-4-2 Diamond more often now that I have a natural anchor man; Battaglia is fast, tough, and strong, and he makes good decisions with the ball.

Laurent Jans (also 20) was gathering dust in Fola Esch's reserves. He's more than good enough to help us, with 11 U21 caps to his credit. Jans' game is in the mold of Christophe Pazos, and they are exactly the same height (5'10") and weight (167). He can play AMC, when we go to the 4-4-2 Diamond.

We've lost three players, too. Steve Bettmer, a right back who covered for Bernard when he was on international duty, signed with US Sandweiler. Steve was our vice captain, so I appointed Yannick Loose to take his place.

Armindo Fonseca, a center back, is off to join Mamer, and Nuno Reis, a midfielder, has left us for Erpeldange.
Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote