View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 09:25 AM   #21
Bee
Pro Starter

Roy Jones Jr. is far from the greatest ever. He's a good fighter and has had a very solid career, but I wouldn't even say he's the best fighter of our time.

He does have a problem with no one to fight.

Chris Byrd would be a bad matchup because they are both the same type of fighter (it would be an ugly fight). Not a big draw and would be ugly. Definitely don't see this happening.

Tyson would be entertaining, and Tyson's a small heavyweight so Jones would be fighting someone close to his own size. The problem is this would be such a huge payday, it would be really hard to pull it off. These kinds of fights are nearly impossible to arrange. Could be a good fight if Tyson is trained properly, but I don't see anyone pulling this off financially. There's also no upside for Tyson to take the fight.

Holyfield would be mismatched, but a decent payday and not too big money that it would be hard to swing. Financially attractive, but not much of a challenge. I can see this one happening, but it doesn't prove anything and probably won't be much of a match. Holyfield does have name value, but thats all that's left now.

Toney would be a good fight, but I don't know how big of a money day it would be. Toney can give Jones a fight, so why would Jones want to take the chance unless he can get paid? Doesn't make much sense to me, but might be an outside chance of happening.

Lewis is too big. Jones won't take him on unless it's huge money. I don't see this happening either.

The Klitshcko brothers are too big as well. Too dangerous for too little money. With the younger brother losing, they both have moved down a notch in the eyes of the public (yes IMO both brothers took a reputation hit from that loss).

There just isn't a good match really that I see.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote