View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #435
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

He is teleported back to Ber-Gathy and meets up with the various folks here. The next day, they set out.

The river is three and a half days away from the Kasbah. In fact, the Oued Khaud is supposedly a former artery of the mighty river. All they have to do is follow it. They cross is and follow on the north side to avoid the hills on the south.

Two days out they come across a monster that is flying towards them. It’s a large chimera! (I am lifting this encounter from the Curse of Xanathon, which I never ran because I sent in my own desert stuff). More powerful than any other monster they have faced yet in the Sand Mire, it lands.

Erg Chimera – 49 HP, AC 6/5/2 (depending on target), 5 attacks, or a breath weapon, three heads, wings, and the whole problem.

As it swoops down, it leads with its breath weapon. A fire breathe for 3d8 hits most of the group from above.

1, 7, 6 – 14 damage, save for half.

Three camels die in the attack.

The Chimera lands as Alzar’s party moves in for combat.

Tolvar casts Acid Arrow from the back at it, and hits for 3 damage. Alzar runs up and casts Vampiric Touch on it and drains 13. No weapons hit. It attacks Alzar in front with five attacks at an THAC0 of 11 and hits four times for 14 damage.

Alzar 37/51

Chimera – 33

The Chimera wins init and hits three times for 10 damage on Alzar. The acid deals another 4, Magic Missiles 4 more, and Volcifar nails it for 4 damage with his Sling. No one else hits.

Alzar 27/51

Chimera - 21

They wrest the momentum away and attack. Alzar’s staff cracks it for 2 damage, and it takes 10 more in weapons damage. It flies up instead of attacking, looking to flee.

Chimera 9

As it flies off, their missile weapons are missing. Before it leaves range, Alzar uses a Wand of Fireballs charge to hit it while it’s far enough away to not hit the party in the backsplash. It deals 5d6 damage. 2, 6, 4, 5, 2 – 17 damage. Even if it saves for half damage (9) it dies. So the Chimera cries out, and falls down to the ground and dies.

They split the 8000 XP from it 5 ways – 1600 XP each.

They choose to continue on down the road rather than search to try to find its lair. That would take too long, and could be guarded.

Fire breath damage wounded the whole party, and they need to consolidate their mounts and such.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote