View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #137
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

As for the "rep"...

It is completely overblown. Something happens in Philly and it becomes national news becase "it happened in Philly" yet the same things happen in other places and you don't. It doesn't take a genius to figure out just which city you are going to think is worse. It's all about perception.

As I have said before. There has been crap said to me at other locations that would make someone like ls post on here about "how bad those fans are" and how it hut my sesitive feelings... Yet I know that a negative cross section of the fans does not make the fans as a whole bad. For every asshole that I have met someplace I have met just as many good people.

Hell, I will be the first to admit that there are Philly fans who are assholes but by no means does that represent the fanbase.

Funny how things like Mario Lemeux's return from his battle with cancer never gets mentioned. His first game back in Philly (which I believe was actually his first game back) he received a 5 minute standing ovation when he stepped on the ice prior to the game; which I was fortunate enough to witness in person. No mention of that. I bet if there was even the slightest hint of a boo it would have made national news as "the Philly fans strike again".

The negative rep also causes instances. Where asshole fans from other teams show up at games with the intention of instigating a response; where it eventually becomes a clash of two sets of asshole subsets of fanbases.

Add to that the "invented memories". I've heard people ragging on Philly fans claiming to have been at the "booed santa" incident. The problem is they wouldn't have even been born yet when that happened.

One other issue is that the negative rep fuels the percentage of the fans who are already assholes to begin with (regardless of fanbase). Now they want to live up to the rep and go even farther to "live up to it". That doesn't make the percentages any different, just makes the assholes standout even more.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote