View Single Post
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #139
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I am at Redskins games and Nats games with fans of many other cities. Am I at every event in every city? No. But I see a broad representation of many cities that come to see the visiting team in stadiums here.

People in other cities who choose to root for a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, or Phillies, are going to average out to a higher level of douchiness. The random Red Sox fan working in some guy's office in Cleveland is more likely to have some issues.

The %s of douchbags amongst groups of fans can vary due to a number of factors, where the whole thing pisses me off is when the fan reputation thing becomes THE angle in any discussion about the team. It just gets really old. And we're still talking about a minority of any fanbase that causes problems. People are just so obnoxious in utilizing these repuations any chance they get.

I've been to maybe a dozen MLB stadiums and the most hostile home fans I ever came accross were in Denver during the '07 World Series. That doesn't make me immediately jump to the conclusion that Rockies fans are genetically douchey and inferior, or that there's something in the water, or whatever. Thinking about things for 2 seconds can tell you what's going on. Red Sox fans have this reputation, which itself increases the hostility and douchebaggery of other fans they come across. It's also the World Series, where you're going to have a lot of bandwaggon fans. Also, the World Series in an "event", so the pre-game alchohol consumption is way higher, which is not going to help the behavior of any group.

I think generally, if you're bringing up a team or city's reputation in a discussion that has nothing to do with fan behavior, or you make a claim that "a majority" of that team's fans are "worthles pieces of shit", or you're disgaraging someone's argument just because of the team they root for and that team's reputation, you're just trolling and being an ass. (And are probably pretty stupid, because you can't think 2 seconds beyond a general reputation).

It's human nature to emphasize traits in groups in order to feel superior to them. At least sports fans reputations are a relatively harmless version of that tendency.

Last edited by molson : 08-03-2010 at 12:38 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote