View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #432
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

Subby and I have "talked" a lot about running over the years and he would probably argue that I fall more into the "run less" camp anyway

Can you elaborate more on where your feelings fall? Run less in regards to the amount of miles per week, or number of days run or both? What is your thoughts behind it, injury prevention, or the diminishing returns from increased mileage beyond a point? Or something else?

I realize that it is a pretty healthy debate on the subject, most of my friends that have run for years seem to side with the belief of more miles so I would love to hear a little more on your thoughts to balance those out in my head.

I've tried to read quite a bit on the two sides, and from what I best understand, the proponents of running less feel that beyond 30 miles per week, you increase injury risk proportional to the amount of diminishing benefit you gain from actually running those miles. I also have read that the feeling is with too much running, you do not properly give your body recovery time and the recovery time is where your body improvement actually occurs. Generally this side seems to term easy miles as "junk miles" and instead running less during the week but more focused on specific purposes (long Run, Tempo Run, interval run, hills, etc) is of more benefit.

I don't want to misrepresent it any, and this is actually something that interests me greatly so am very curious to hear more of this line of thought. So far I've been planning my running around the other side of the debate, primarily due to the influences of people I talk to often that have far more experience than me on the subject.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote