Charlotte leads 1-0

CHA:NO
92:93 OVR
87:90 OFF
95:94 DEF

First Quarter

Charlotte 41
New Orleans 22

Wow. Gerald Wallace 2-2 from 3, Mayo 1-1, Felton 1-2. Wallace with a great quarter, 4-4 with 2 3's and a couple free throws for 12 points. Wallace is overshadowed big time these days but its nice to see him do something like this, a few years ago we were building around this guy and now he's a solid role player. Padgett has 10, Mayo has 10 and 5 assists. Mayo going into the lane led to all of the other open 3's that we sunk. Wallace and Paul both pick up 2 fouls. Paul commits too many reach in fouls. Saramago with 8, JR Smith 4 for the Hornets.

Second Quarter

Charlotte 61
New Orleans 49

Mayo 15 points/6 assists, easily the player of the half. Wallace 14, Padgett 10 points/6 boards, Swanson has 9 off the bench. Paul has 12 to lead the Hornets, Saramago 10, JR Smith 7. JR Smith is only shooting 3-9. New Orleans cut our lead down to 9 pretty much right away in the quarter and it stayd right around 10 for most of the period. Paul picked up foul #3 in the final minute of the quarter so that'll remain an issue going into the 2nd half.

Third Quarter

Charlotte 86
New Orleans 79

We lead by double digits for just about the entire quarter, New Orleans scores 8 in a row and cuts the lead to 4 before a Gerald Wallace 3 puts us up 7 as the quarter ends. Gerald Wallace is having a hell of a game here. He's now 4-7 from 3 and has 27 points total. Mayo 17, Sparks was huge this quarter and now has 14 points. Padgett 12 points/7 boards. Chris Paul picks up foul #4 with 9 minutes left in the 3rd and paul's foul troubles have to be the biggest disappointment of the series so far. JR Smith and Saramago are both solid shooters and are carrying the Hornets. 23 points for Smith, 20 for Saramago, 14 for Paul.

Fourth Quarter

We open with Felton/Mayo/Henderson/Padgett/Chandler

8:15 to go - Each team scores consistently for the first 3 minutes of the quarter, we break things open with a 3 from Felton, a stop, and a hook shot from Padgett. We now lead 97-87 and are on a 5-0 run.

7:00 to go - 4 straight from New Orleans, 97-91. I get a timeout and switch up the lineup: Swanson/Mayo/Wallace/Fisher/Sparks.

5:00 to go - Now its 8 straight from New Orleans. 97-95 Charlotte. I get another timeout. I bring back all 5 starters.

4:30 to go - Paul strips the ball from Mayo as he catches a pass going to the rim, leads a break and fires a great pass to JR Smith who ties the game with a layup.

4:05 to go - Padgett with a hook shot in the post to end a 10-0 New Orleans run. 99-97 Charlotte.

3:00 to go - Mayo has our last 4 and there's a clear shift as we start going to our big guns in Mayo and Padgett. Its 103-99 Charlotte New Orleans ball.

2:15 to go - After an empty trip on each end JR Smith scores and cuts our lead down to 2, 103-101.

1:40 to go - Wallace with a drive to the basket but he cannot finish. Saramago scores and ties the game up again, its 103-103, our ball.

1:05 to go - Mayo misses a tough turnaround late in the shot clock on our end, saramago misses a pullup jumper from the free throw line still tied, we've got it back.

0:53 to go - Sparks draws a foul inside but he's a pretty poor free throw shooter and only hits 1 of 2. 104-103 Charlotte, Hornets ball.

0:41 to go - Paul gets by Felton and is fouled by Sparks going up for a shot in the lane. Paul hits both, 105-104 Hornets.

0:22 to go - I intend to take a quick shot but nothing presents itself early in the shot clock. Instead we work it into Padgett for a hook shot that is off the rim and no good. New Orleans rebounds and we foul Chris Paul. He hits both, 107-104.

Ugh, we blow the final 24 seconds badly, or perhaps Chris Paul comes up big like the superstar he is and wins it for the Hornets. He gets a steal and a quick feed to Saramago for a layup after our inbounds play. Trailing 109-104 with about 17 seconds left I go to Mayo but he is covered tightly, instead of forcing a 3 I have him drive and try to dish back out for a 3 and he throws the ball out of bounds. That'll do it.

New Orleans 111
Charlotte 104

Wallace: 27 points/5 boards
Mayo: 25 points/6 assists
Padgett: 18 points/8 boards
Sparks: 15 points/6 boards
Swanson: 9 points
Felton: 8 points/7 assists
Fisher: 2 points

JR Smith leads New Orleans with 27 points/4 boards/7 assists, a great game from him. Saramago 26, Paul 22 points/5 assists/4 steals in 33 minutes.

A disappointing loss after our great first quarter. In some games when I have a lead in the 2nd half I get slack trying to burn time or get bored with a big lead, that wasn't the case here, New Orleans just slowly worked the margin down over the course of the final 3 quarters and put together a great 4th quarter on me.

Series tied 1-1 going back to Charlotte.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote