NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Wed. April 10, 2024

UEFA Champions League - Quarter Final Second Leg
Ajax (1) vs. (5) Dover
Amsterdam Arena, Amsterdam, Holland

Betting Odds: Ajax: 6-4 (Favourites) Draw: 2-1 Dover: 13-8
Past Meetings: 1W 1D 0L

I was very impressed with striker Kingsley Lawal in the last game and we’ll need to watch him closely. Ajax played a flat 4-4-2 last game but they may go to a one striker formation, as they just played a 4-2-3-1 in league play. That said, down four goals right now, they’ll likely need two strikers.

With a huge lead, we’re using the opportunity to rest some key players. Shanon Andrea and Zoltan Bardi start up front and Paul Moses gets the night off. In midfield, 18 year old Felix Hernandez, part of our youth setup, gets his first ever senior team start today at left midfield, as we rest Arsene Bamba. Emmerson Harvey is in at MC alongside Jose and Gianluca Bolis is back in at right midfield after a two game absence. Rafinha starts at left fullback for the suspended Renato Gaucho and Saber Nasri is in for Rayane Hamon today. Ingo Wilke is back in goal. We’ll counter attack today.

Dover: 4-4-2 Counter
GK - I. Wilke
D - Rafinha, C. Contreras, S. Nasri, S. Loucif
M - F. Hernandez, E. Harvey, Jose, G. Bolis
S - S. Andrea, Z. Bardi
Bench - C. Guzman, M. Yilmaz, N. Cairney, G. Fanfoni, G. Allan, Chiquinho, A. Broomes

Ajax come out with the same group of players and same formation as last game. de la Torre is up front with Lawal and Stephen Brown is back in goal after a horrendous game against us last week.

*** In a stupid move, I get the “button yips” and press right through the team talk. Uh oh…hopefully they don’t freak out that I didn’t go into the room ***

2’ - Bardi gets a shot off from the outer edge of the area and it’s saved by Brown. He’s already doing better than last game…the poor guy.

5’ - We’re definitely a bit disjointed to start and de la Torre gets through our defence but Wilke barely pushes the ball aside.

10’ - Ajax with a corner and de la Torre heads it toward the far corner but Wilke makes the diving save.

21’ - On an innocent looking play, Wilke botches a cross into the area and Lawal has an open net to shoot at but it goes right across the goal line and wide. So lucky!

26’ - I feel we’re just holding on right now and Salim Loucif botches a tackle and Ajax are off to the races. The ball comes into the middle and Wilke again is forced to make a great save.

31’ - de la Torre has a partial break after a Wilke goal kick gets headed back our way but our keeper is on fire tonight and makes the point blank stop.

34’ - Young Felix Hernandez, who has been noticeable in a good way so far, with a great cross into the area to Bolis, who heads it toward goal but Brown bumps it over the crossbar.

HALFTIME - Well, a boring half but that’s okay. We are holding 55% of possession but Ajax are the more dangerous team, with an 11-6 (5-2 on target) shot edge. Wilke has been sensational so far. I do go in the dressing room this time and tell the lads I’m content due to the large aggregate lead. I want to see something from Shanon Andrea in the next 15 minutes or he’s coming off.

48’ - Wilke again with a key stop, this time on substitute Nicolas Lodeiro’s tight shot.

53’ - We have a corner headed away and Ajax are on the counter. It’s a two on two and Lawal beats Loucif to the middle and Rafinha comes over to help, leaving de la Torre wide open. Lawal finds him and it’s an easy shot for de la Torre and we’re behind. AJAX GOAL 0-1 (5-2 AGGREGATE)

61’ - I’m angry that I have to bring in the cavalry right now, taking out Shanon Andrea and Emmerson Harvey and bringing in Chiquinho and Neil Cairney.

I also switch to a control mentality.

63’ - Bolis with a quick cross and there is young Hernandez climbing up to send a hard header toward goal but Brown makes a great save to deflect if off the crossbar and out!

67’ - We have a free kick from outside the area and Jose sends in a ROCKET that curls around the wall and Brown fists the ball out. It’s right on the foot of FELIX HERNANDEZ and the 18 year old volleys the ball off a defender and past Brown for his first ever senior team goal!!! DOVER GOAL 1-1 (6-2 AGGREGATE)

74’ - He’s only been on for 13 minutes but I take out Neil Cairney and bring in Gian Marco Fanfoni. Why, you ask? Cairney is one yellow card away from suspension so I don’t want him getting one now and missing our semi-final opener.

81’ - We send Chiquinho away on a partial breakaway and he’s taken down hard from behind by Acosta. That’s a straight RED CARD! Ajax are down to ten men. AJAX RED CARD

84’ - Ajax haven’t changed their formation after the Acosta red card and they have only three defenders. That’s important as Jose steals the ball near midfield and sends a pass up to Zoltan Bardi, who is completely unmarked. He strolls in on goal and shoots past Brown and IN! DOVER GOAL 2-1 (7-2 AGGREGATE)

90’+1 - Ajax get a free kick after a Rafinha foul and the cross is to de la Torre. He heads it past Wilke and ties the game up. His second of the match but too little, too late for Ajax. AJAX GOAL 2-2 (7-3 AGGREGATE)

We move on to the semi-finals for the first time!!!

Ajax 2 (3) - (7) 2 Dover
Goals - Felix Hernandez (7.6), Zoltan Bardi (7.3)
Assists - Jose 2 (9.0)
Man of the Match - Jorge de la Torre (AJAX STRIKER - 9.1)
Other Dover Notables - Ingo Wilke (7.6), Claudio Contreras (5.7)
Attendance - 49,732

We held 56% of overall possession but were outshot by a wide margin, 22-15 (9-7 on target). Wilke was excellent, as was Jose. We move onto the semis!!!

-- We earn £2.87 million for playing in the quarterfinals. Now I can’t wait to see the windfall for the semis!

-- In other Champions League action, it’s Real Madrid drawing with Atletico Madrid 1-1 but winning 4-1 on aggregate to join us, Manchester United and Barcelona in the semis.

Champions League Semi-Final Draw

-- We’ve made it to the final four and we get MANCHESTER UNITED in the semi-finals! This might be the best draw for us again…we host the first leg in two weeks time.

International Update

-- Young on-loan defender Mwemere Mutesa scores in a 3-0 win for Rwanda over Zambia.

Next Up

-- We back home and hosting mid-table Sunderland in Premier League action.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote