View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 04:27 PM   #80
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

1877-1878 Off Season

Letter from Thaddeus Hamilton to James McCormick
Mr. McCormick,
I wish to applaude your decision to expel the rouges who would have destroyed the Brooklyns’ season. However, I write to you, not to praise, but seeking council. Whatever my personal feelings toward you, I understand you actions have always been to the benefit of the Empire as a whole, and not for short term personal gain.

In the wake of the unfortunate events of the past summer, William Temple has taken to the bully pulpit to advocate advancement of another league founded on his ideals of ‘true sport,’ alleging the dishonesty of the championship season is reflective of the men running the Empire. He has used he connections and friendships in the Manhattan newspapers to assail your character and mine. This would not bother me, except for the fact I was warned about these characters at the end of last summer, and did nothing to avert disaster. I even kept this unholy trio under my employment until it was very nearly too late. With Brooklyn being our sole representative in the New York area, would it be in the best interest of the league for me to sell my interest?

I felt the Brooklyn club would be a way to showcase the best aspects of my beloved city; instead I find it is becoming the fodder for vulgar comedians and bawdy house acts. Even with the three villains expelled, I fear our club can not separate from the lingering stench they have left.

I have taken no joy in my club’s victory. I only desire what is best for my city and team, even if that means releasing my interest in the Atlantics.
Yours,
Thaddeus Hamilton

{Just a note--a couple more post and this board will be 'current' with what I am posting over at OOTP. I've already started the 1878 season over there.}
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote