View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #24694
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I had the exact same thought - I assumed "trigger" and " microaggression" and all those terms were things coined by people mocking what was actually going on. Like PC Principal. I didn't realize they were accepted terms used in everyday conversations with students as legitimate, non-ironical discussion points. And I have a rising senior in college.

Triggers and microaggressions are both technical terms from psychology and sociology. For example, folks with PTSD can be triggered by a reminder of their trauma which brings on flashbacks, or a rape survivor could have symptoms triggered by a reminder of their assault. Microaggression is a term coined to be able to talk about those small acts of prejudice or discrimination which don't amount to an attack or an intentional act of racism, like touching a Black person's hair or assuming a woman is a nurse not a doctor, but which build up to an upsetting amount over time for the person subjected to them. These are real terms with real use and meaning.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote