View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 06:51 AM   #24
StLee
High School Varsity

It took us taking on the worst team in the league (and potentially the worst team in Daegu Softball League history), but we got back to our winning ways against the Yellow Fever (0-9). It is no surprise that the Fever is playing without a lot of enthusiasm, but the Swingers went about our business to shore up our playoff seeding. First the game:

We were the home team in the game. The Fever started out with a quick two in the first, but we answered with five to take a 5-2 lead. Neither team scored in the second. In the third, they got a run back, but we answered with three to take an 8-3 advantage. They didn't score in the fourth, and we took advantage of the chance to blow the game away, scoring four for a 12-3 lead. They added one in the fifth, but we again got the five-run max to lead 17-4. We added one more in the sixth, and they scored two in the seventh in their futile attempt to come back. Final: Swingers 18, Fever 6.

Line up:
1 - Tyler - SS
2 - Josh - CF
3 - Shawn - RF
4 - Frank - LF
5 - Mitch - 2B
6 - Mary Kay - LROV
7 - Mike - RROV/2B
8 - Lee - 3B
9 - Doug - 1B
10 - Lia - C
11 - Chris - 1B
12 - Daniel - RROV
13 - Ariella - C

Bottom 1st inning: Trailing 2-0
Tyler - Infield single
Josh - RBI triple
Shawn - RBI infield single
Frank - RBI triple, scored on error
Mitch - Ground out, 5-3
Mary Kay - GO, 6-3
Mike - Infield single, advanced to 2B on error
Lee - RBI single (5-run rule)

2nd inning: Leading 5-2
Doug - Fly out, 9
Lia - Strike out
Chris - FO, 8

3rd inning: Leading 5-3
Daniel - Infield single
Ariella - Out on pitches (Due to six-pitch rule: she hit a foul ball on the sixth pitch)
Tyler - Line out, 6
Josh - Infield single, Daniel to 2B
Shawn - 2-RBI double
Frank - Reach on error, advance to 2B. Shawn scored.
Mitch - Out on runner interference (ball hit Frank)

4th inning: Leading 8-3
Mary Kay - Single
Mike - Single
Lee - Single
Doug - Grand slam HR
Lia - Ground out, 6-3
Chris - Infield single
Daniel - Fielder's choice, 6-4
Ariella - Line out, 5

5th inning: Leading 12-4
Tyler - Double
Josh - RBI double
Shawn - 2-run HR
Frank - HR
Mitch - Single, advance to 2B on error
Mary Kay - Fielder's choice, 6-3; Mitch to 3B
Mike - RBI single (5-run rule)

6th inning: Leading 17-4
Lee - Triple
Doug - RBI Sac Fly
Lia - Ground out, 6-3
Chris - GO, 6-3

7th inning: Victory 18-6
No at bats

Lee's batting:
3-3, 3B, 2R, RBI
I was just trying to place the ball since the Fever's LF is lightning fast. Therefore, I hit it where he wasn't. In my first at bat, I was just trying to put it in any gap, so I went to LCF and got the base hit to get to the 5-run rule. In my second at bat, I saw that the RF was playing me in RCF, so I tried to go down the line. Unfortunately, the runners ahead of me were waiting for the GD ball to hit the ground when it was an obvious hit off the bat. Thankfully Doug cleaned us up after me. In my third at bat, the RF moved over again, so I tried to go RCF, but the ball went off the end of the bat and I blooped a gapper right on the RF line.

Lee's fielding:
6 fielding chances, 5 assists, and 1 put out.
I had lots of chances early in the game because they were hitting balls right at me. Three of my five assists were 5-4 FCs, two potentially double plays, though we didn't turn one. My put out was on a throw from Josh, our CFer, and I tagged out the man trying for third.

Game stats:

Season stats:

Now for the playoff situation. I don't have scores from other games since none have been posted on our site yet, but I will post them once I have them. At this point, just a few tie breakers can be determined due to point differentials. In our case, we won and the Master Batters beat the Whalers, giving us a huge edge heading into the final week. In the other division, the Pitch Slappers clinched the first playoff spot in that division by beating the Multiple Scoregasms. Hanamana pulled one out over the Bus Drivers in extra innings to make a three-way tie for second place and a huge final week.

Here are updated standings along with the tie breaker scenarios:

Tie breaker scenarios:
Hite Division:
x-Swingers vs x-Whalers
x-Master Batters vs Yellow Fever

A) If the Swingers and Master Batters win, 1) Swingers, 2) Master Batters, 3) Whalers.

B) If the Swingers and Fever win, 1) Swingers, 2) Whalers, 3) Master Batters. This is due to the Whalers having a better run differential over the Batters.

c) If the Master Batters win and Whalers win by 12 runs or more, 1) Whalers, 2) Swingers, 3) Master Batters. In the three-way tie, the Whalers would win the run differential battle over the Batters and the overall run differential over the Swingers. The Swingers win the run differential over the Batters.

d) If the Master Batters win and the Whalers win by 11 runs or fewer, 1) Swingers, 2) Whalers, 3) Master Batters. The Swingers would beat both the Whalers and Master Batters in run differential. The Whalers would beat the Batters in run differential.

e) If the Whalers win by 12 runs or more and Fever win, 1) Whalers, 2) Swingers, 3) Master Batters

f) If the Whalers win by 11 runs or fewer and Fever win, 1) Swingers, 2) Whalers, 3) Master Batters.

Cass Division:
I'll leave this one to Carp:

Quote:
Daegu- 3 more riviting games in week 9 and one thing is clear, the playoff picture in the Hite division is still pretty damn unclear. Only one team was able to shore up a playoff birth when the Pitch Slappers defeated the Scoregasms. Hanamana, playing in their biggest game of the year, needed extra innings to keep their playoff hopes alive, and in doing so, has actually put themselves back in contention for the top spot. Still, the three teams under The Pitch Slappers are in the danger zone (insert Top Gun reference here), as each one could find themselves without an invitation to the June 19th Tourny.

Here is a break down of how things could play out in two weeks time.

Scenario 1 : Slappers beat Hanamana
XXX beat The Drivers

Slappers 6-4
XXX 5-5
Hanamana 4-6
The Drivers 4-6

Slappers earn round 1 bye as the top seed
XXX slides into the number two spot and will be at home to face Hanamana in the first round.
The Drivers are eliminated (under condition that Hanamana won week 9 matchup by more than 2, if they lost by 2 then it comes down to overall +/-, which hanamana holds a large edge in, if they lost by only 1 they hold the tie breaker due to a +1 run differential in games between the two.)

Scenario 2 : Slappers beat Hanamana
The Drivers beat XXX

Slappers 6-4
Drivers 5-5
XXX 4-6
Hanamana 4-6

Slappers earn round 1 bye as the top seed
The drivers park it in second place and will be at home to face XXX in the first round
Hanamana would be eliminated. (XXX holds the tiebreaker2-0)

Scenario 3 : Hanamana beats the Slappers
XXX beats the Drivers

Hanamana 5-5
XXX 5-5
Slappers 5-5
Drivers 4-6

I need a little clarification from the league Captains about this. Is it determined by overall record vs all the opponents tied? If so, all the records vs the three teams involved would be 2-2, thus making it about +/-. in that case... the Slappers would have a - score in games involving the three teams, The XXX would be at +3, and Hanamana would need to beat the Slappers by more than 5 to earn the top seed. Whatever the case, it's a freggin' crazy scenario!

The Drivers miss out.

Scenario 4 : hanamana beats the Slappers
The Drivers beat XXX

Hanamana 5-5
Drivers 5-5
Slappers 5-5
XXX 4-6

Another outrageous scenario but a little easier to decipher. Hanamana would be first due to a 3-1 record vs opponents tied. the drivers would have a 2-2 record and the Slappers would sit at 1-3.

hanamana gets the bye; Drivers host the Slappers in first round.

In short

The Slappers : Clinch first with a win, finish 3rd with a loss
XXX : Eliminated with a loss and a Hanamana win
The Drivers : Elimintated with a loss (again, only if they lost week 9 by more than 2)
Hanamana : Eliminated with a loss and a Drivers win

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Standings - Game 9.jpg (72.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Swingers - Game 9.jpg (144.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Swingers Stats - After Game 9.jpg (135.8 KB, 37 views)

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736

Last edited by StLee : 05-30-2011 at 07:27 AM.
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote