View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #125
revrew
Team Chaplain

ESPN Draft Profile: Des Moines Dragons

The dearth of the Des Moines Dragons offense is reaching critical levels, especially after a season of making a rookie quarterback suffer without a legitimate NFL attack. So once again, Des Moines enters the draft in need of weapons, particularly at wide receiver and running back.

On the defensive side of the ball, the linebacker group is a position of strength, but the team needs young depth in the secondary, and the D-line needs major upgrades, particularly at pass rusher.

The Dragons' biggest needs, assuming they're confident in their young quarterback, are wide receiver and defensive end. And lo and behold, for Des Moines GM Jack Ledger, who has limited himself to drafting and signing players exclusively from Iowa, those needed pieces are definitely in play.

Let's take a look at which Iowa prospects the Dragons might target:

1st Round
WR Louis Forbes, Iowa State – Forbes is not the fastest receiver in draft, but his 4.43 40 at the combine is ample, especially for a player with elite agility and toughness, which Forbes has. He's phenomenal at adjusting to the ball in the air and making the most of it in the open field. Though the 1.2 might be too rich for Forbes, it wouldn't be surprising to see him taken top 10.

DE Elias Reese, University of Iowa – Reese is a big, powerful, angry, pin your ears back pass rusher. He has the size to play 3-4 or 4-3 end. He's not the top rated end on the board, for he lacks discipline and can be caught out of position against the run, but he has the look and the snarl of a quarterback killer. He will likely be taken somewhere near the back of the first, so the Dragons may need to trade up (or way down) if they have their eyes on him.

Other notables:
G Cedric Grundy, U of I – Technically very sound, high motor, kid. But he's young and needing to grow into his 6'3 frame. Would have benefited from staying for his senior season. Projected mid to late round pick.
WR Xavier Bradley, U of I – He has reliable hands, is good in the open field, but his technique is sloppy. Projected late round pick.
WR Robbie Thompson, U of I – Bradley's teammate for the Hawkeyes, Thompson has straight line speed, but below average agility. Late round pick.
C Aaron Alexander, ISU – Alexander flashes elite run blocking skills, but his overall athleticism is only average. Can get overwhelmed or pushed over by top defensive tackles. Late rounder to URFA.

Sleeper
C Antonio Sallee, ISU – Alexander's backup at Iowa State, Sallee moved around the line. He's a big, bruising, mauler, played with a tough streak, but he's soft around the middle and raw at any position. Could be a project.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote