View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #2838
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Doolittle View Post
I didn't quite understand the High Sparrow's play here. I know the church/crown Union makes it hard for the Tyrells and Lannisters to make a move against the church, but I didn't get Lady Tyrell's comment that "they lost" against him. He can still be assassinated while putting in a puppet High Sparrow. What changed here?

I had the same reaction to the dialog between Jaime and Cersei. Jaime says he's going to get Bronn to assemble a bunch of the worst killers he can find to take out the High Sparrow, and Cersei's able to dissuade him using the reasoning of "but you'd never make it out alive, and we need you alive"....uhhh yeah, didn't I explicitly say Bronn and a bunch of other killers? Judging by the six dozen other unresolved assassinations that make up the show's plot I dunno that slick medieval detective work or swift reprisal would really be a concern for a noble like Jaime.

They tried to explicitly insist several times over that the High Sparrow had achieved some sort of invincible position, but I wasn't really buying. If I were in the Lannister's/Tyrell's shoes I certainly might be convinced that slaying the High Sparrow would result in someone immediately rising up in his place, and/or that the populace would revolt, and/or that the King and Queen are under the sway of the church....but I think I'd be willing to bet that all of those things are dependent on the remarkable person & tact of the current High Sparrow, and all of those things could be handled much easier if he were removed from the situation entirely, rather than trying to play the game with/against him & the church for potentially dozens more years. Given the ruthless game players they've shown both the Tyrells and Lannisters to be I didn't feel that they presented adequate reasoning for both families essentially giving up.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 05-30-2016 at 08:57 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote