View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #55
StLee
High School Varsity

Part One: Jeremy Naquin, the linebacker

Jeremy’s Journal
September 12, 2027

Well, we got our butts whipped in the game. Not whipped, really. I just mean they beat us and it hurt. The final score was Vancouver 33, Auckland 25, but they were up on us 20-0 at halftime. Also, they racked up almost 400 total yards on us, so we definitely need to get better on D.

I kind of hate to post my stats after a loss like this, but I know all of you want to know. I’ll use the same format Mr. Dupre showed me a week ago. So here are the plays where I made some noise. Final stats: 4 tackles, 1 assist, and a fumble forced.

1-10-VAN20 (2Q: 14:50) Casey Lewis ran around left end for 9 yards. Tackled by DE Ian Praw, assisted by OLB Jeremy Naquin. Key block delivered by Henry Matthews.

On this play, they loaded up the left side and ran that way. Most of our guys got blocked out of the play, but Praw and I grabbed their RB and held on to pull him down.

3-1-VAN43 (2Q: 09:27) Ron VanCaeyzeele ran inside the right guard for 0 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin, assisted by DT George McPhail.

This was a strength-on-strength play where they were trying to convert a 3rd and short with a dive play. Our lines clashed and I rushed the gap to nail their backup bruiser.

2-5-AUC29 (2Q: 03:01) Ray Drummond scrambled for 5 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin.

So much for scouting out opponents! Drummond dropped back to pass, and I had to spy the TE in the flat. I saw Drummond take off almost immediately after completing his drop back, but I couldn’t get there fast enough. I “tackled” him by touching him after he slid for a first down.

2-8-VAN26 (3Q: 10:04) 7 Miles ran inside the right guard for 0 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin, assisted by ILB Terry Hastings. The ball was fumbled and recovered by VAN Kenny Chiaccheri to the VAN26.

This was my big play of the game and helped lead us, at least indirectly, to our first TD of the game. Lewis was a little banged up by this time, so another backup tailback, 7 Miles was in. He tried to plunge over right guard, but Terry (he was signed this week and finished with 5 Tkls and 1 Asst) and I hit him and while we were holding on, I got a piece of the ball and pulled, and I watched it pop onto the ground. VA’s TE was right there, though, and jumped on it before any of our guys could get to it. It’s all right, though, because we held them for a 3 and out on the next play. Then Pete led the team to a TD.

1-10-AUC40 (4Q: 05:25) Frankie Miles ran inside the left tackle for 2 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin.

Though we added a late TD to make the final score respectable, VA was just trying to run out the clock at this point. 7 Miles ran a basic power run, and I slipped through traffic to tackle him. They ended up running down a lot of clock on this drive and kicked a FG. We scored right after, but VA recovered the onsides kick and just kneeled to end the game.

Coach Nickle told us to come in for treatments tomorrow morning and then we’re going to watch film before hitting the practice field. I have a feeling he’s going to work us hard. We can do better, but I am still encouraged. We’re a young team, but we have a lot of fight in us.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote