View Single Post
Old 03-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #64
StLee
High School Varsity

Part One: Jeremy Naquin, the linebacker

Jeremy’s Journal
October 11, 2027

You know how I said I would cause a turnover this game? Well, I lied, but not from not trying. The fact is, we manhandled the Brisbane offense and knocked two of their QBs out where the former first-rounder had to play. As we thought, he sucks, too! Final score: Auckland 34, Brisbane 10.

Here were my plays:

2-8-BRI29 (2Q: 11:35) Ernest Lightner ran inside the right tackle for 3 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin, assisted by OLB Victor Shawver.

I was lined up on the right side of the D here in a basic pro set. Lightner got the ball and ran up the butt of the RG, but me, along with Vic got in on the tackle.

1-10-BRI20 (2Q: 06:26) Larry Bauders ran around left end for 7 yards. Tackled by DT Duane Freeman, assisted by OLB Jeremy Naquin.

Bauders didn’t get many carries in the game, but he made them count when he did. On this play, Brisbane ran a sweep and Duane Freeman and I both had to battle through a huge pile to take Bauders down.

2-19-BRI42 (3Q: 12:12) Dave Terry pass completed to WR Rex Alcott for 9 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin, assisted by DT Adrian Howard. Alcott gained 1 yard after the catch.

I was in zone coverage and dropped back. Their backup QB Terry threw a short in to the WR and I ran up to hit him. While I was holding him up, one our big men, Adrian Howard nailed the WR. Unfortunately for me, both guys fell on top of me and I had the wind knocked out of me. I had to sit out the next series.

1-10-AUC37 (4Q: 12:24) Larry Bauders ran around left end for 13 yards. Tackled by OLB Jeremy Naquin.

Finally I got back in the game and immediately I had to prevent a TD. Pettit (the Louisiana boy) blew up Vic as he was trying to bully his way towards Bauders. I saw the play was going away from me, so I ran as fast as I could, but Bauders still beat me to the corner. I dove and caught hold of his foot, tripping him up about another five yards downfield. On the field, I thought I would have some help if he got past me, but when we watched film today I saw that there was no one else there. Had I not made that desperate grasp, Brisbane would’ve had six on that play. As it stood, they scored on the drive anyway for their first TD, but I was proud it didn’t happen on my watch.

1-10-AUC36 (4Q: 06:10) Barry Fitzhugh sacked by DE Jesse Flowers and OLB Jeremy Naquin for a loss of 7 yards.

This was late in the game, and Brisbane was down to their emergency QB Fitzhugh. It was pass all the way at this point since we were up by more than 20 points. I was able to sub in on a few plays, and this was one of them. I was the only LB on the field here, and coach audibled in a blitz to me. I was a little hesitant, and that probably helped, because as soon as the OL was occupied with our DL, I shot in and got the first hit on the QB. Then Flowers got in and cleaned him up, so I only got credit for a half sack. I don’t care. Mr. Fitzhugh, congratulations. You’re the first QB I sacked in the W-S-A-F-L!

Our defensive game ball went to Bright Light! Mr. Barton had an INT and forced a fumble on the final play. Great job, MB! We’re 2-4 now, and I’m hoping we can make a strong surge during our home stand.

The bad news is we lost Praw and Pauley, maybe for a while. I know nothing is official yet, but Praw had a pretty bad shoulder separation and Pauley busted up his knee. Pauley’s been banged up all year, so I’m hoping we can get him back healthy soon. We need both of those guys. They are the heart and soul of our defense along with A.J. Morton.

The other bad news (well, not really, just that it sucks) is that DeBoer also got his first half sack of his career against us. At least I know I still have a chance to beat him in career sacks! Hah!

Next week we go on the road to Melbourne, but then we have 6 out of 7 at home.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote