sabotai
General Manager

Hallelujah (1929)

Directed by: King Vidor
Starring: Daniel L. Haynes, Nina Mae McKinney
Length: 100 min
Genre: Musical

Plot from Wikipedia (edited)

Sharecroppers Zeke (Daniel L. Haynes) and Spunk Johnson sell their part of the cotton crop for $100. Cheated out of the money by a woman named Chick (Nina Mae McKinney), in collusion with her gambling-hustler friend Hot Shot. Spunk is murdered in the ensuing brawl when Zeke struggled with Hot Shot over a gun. Zeke heads back home and reforms his life, becoming a minister.

Some time later he returns and preaches a rousing revival. Now engaged to a virtuous maiden named Missy (Victoria Spivey), he finds that Chick is still interested in him. She asks for baptism but is clearly not truly repentant. Tragically, Zeke throws away his new life for her.

The film then cuts to Zeke's new life; he is working at a log mill and is married to Chick, who is secretly cheating on him with her old flame, Hot Shot. When Chick and Hot Shot decide to cut and run just as Zeke finds out about the affair, Zeke follows after them. The carriage carrying both Hot Shot and Chick overturns, and Zeke catches up to them. Holding her in his arms, he watches Chick die as she apologizes to him for being unable to change her ways. Zeke then chases Hot Shot on foot. He stalks slowly through the woods and swamp while Hot Shot tries to run but continues to stumble until Zeke finally kills him.

Zeke spends some time in prison and is released on probation. The film ends with Zeke returning back to his family at the cotton crop after serving time in prison. His family is more than happy to welcome him back into the flock.

Review

The movie wasn't that bad, but I'm not much of a musical guy. The singing was pretty decent. Parts of the plot were absolutely absurd. Zeke released on probabtion for killing two people? And when he returned home, everything is forgiven? Just like that? Ok, I can see his mom and dad being happy to have him home, but why would Missy want him back? Twice he was seduced by Chick, once out of his money and the other out of his life. And she just takes him back?

I can count the number of musicals I've seen in my life on one hand. Maybe absurd plots are a part of them. But the acting was also pretty atrocious. Perhaps that's a part of musicals as well.

I guess I'll see. I've still got 4 more musicals to see in 1929 alone.

My Rating: 4 / 10
IMDB Rating: 7.1 / 10 (468 Votes)
Netflix Rating: 3.1 / 5 (2,076 Votes)

Last edited by sabotai : 05-22-2018 at 04:42 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote