View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 07:57 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

2007-2008 SEASON

There are at least two more players headed to the Pronghorn Hall of Fame after this year. The real question is whether this season will be the year Nebraska State gets past the Sweet 16?

We'll be losing six seniors this year and I'm letting the AI do all of the recruiting, so whoever we end up with will be at the behest of our computer overlord. One has to think that with three lottery picks on our roster -- easily the best team on paper in school history -- we'll have to do better this year. But we'll have to see how it all flops out.

The schedule is a bit of a mixed bag. Some challenging games, but also some games we ought to win. I won't bog down these threads with extraneous details unless someone is dying to see them.

Nebraska State ended the regular season 26-2, going 16-0 in the Major. Their two losses came against Top 25 opponents vs. Illinois and at Rutgers. We won the conference tournament title over 10th seeded Gonzaga. Will this be the year we make it back to the Final Four? Will it be considered a huge disappointment if we don't? I'd like to think so, given the talent we'll be losing after this year.

We're the #1 seed in the West region.

NCAA TOURNAMENT
1st round: 16) Ball State, W 101-69
2nd round: 8) Arkansas W, 78-54
Sweet 16: 5) Purdue W, 72-63
Elite 8: 10) Iowa State L, 91-86

With a trip to the Final Four on the line, we lost...to a 10th seeded Iowa State team that was on a hellbent path to the Final Four.

I don't even know what to say. It's just really disappointing. We end the year at 33-3.

There were two double digit seeds in this year's Final Four. Iowa State faced Illinois, a 2-seed. In the other semi, it was 1-seed Mississippi State and 11-seed South Florida. In the final, Iowa State became the highest seed to ever win the national title, knocking off Mississippi State.

What a season.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-19-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote