View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

COACH MULDOWNEY'S FINALIST LOCALES

Sue Muldowney has been asked to leave Nebraska State. Officially she will retire and not return for her 37th season, but she will turn up a few weeks later as the new head coach of a completely different program after 36 years at the helm of the program at Nebraska State.

Her goal is to find a program where she can make an impact. We haven't decided how long she'll stay coaching, it might be for the next two years or it might be longer than that.

We also don't know who will be the person to replace her at Nebraska State, but we'll tackle that after we figure out where she's going. I originally was thinking only mid-major, but as I've gone through I feel like there are some intriguing possibilities that we need to consider.

The only coach in this dynasty's nearly 100-year history to claim titles with multiple teams was Melinda Lefebvre who won 3 titles with Duke, before leaving for UConn and winning three more in the 1960s and 1970s.

IUPUI (Prestige: 36, Summit League)
Budget: $287,625
#2 rated facilities in their conference, have made the NCAAs 6 times in their history, but only once in the last 25 years. Roster boasts six seniors.

FGCU (Prestige: 28, Atlantic Sun)
Budget: $265,000
Last NCAA appearance came in 1977. Pretty much barren situation, but at least they're in Florida.

North Florida (Prestige: 24, Atlantic Sun)
Budget: $260,000
Last NCAA appearance came in 1979. Pretty much barren situation, but at least they're in Florida. Coach has had the job for eight years.

Creighton (Prestige: 65, Missouri Valley)
Budget: $497,500
It's not an upgrade, but from the perspective of "stay in the neighborhood and show them whose boss" this move would make sense. Two years removed from a 26-win season were they made the NCAAs.

Kentucky (Prestige: 67, SEC)
Budget: $576,250
Obviously not a mid-major. But the program has made 12 NCAA appearances ever and only has one Sweet 16 in school history. Making it easier, they're without a coach.

New Orleans (Prestige: 39, C-USA)
Budget: $338,812
Only the 7th year of the program, they've made one post-season tourney in their existence. Seems less likely an option, since the coach is a Louisiana native. But I thought it was an interesting program to put on the list.

USC (Prestige: 100, Pac-12)
Budget: $800,000
I actually had UCLA here, as they've never won a national title either. But USC has made more Final Fours than any program never to win a national title (11). They also don't have a head coach at the moment, making this the almost perfect landing spot for a Hall of Fame coach to cement her legacy.

Florida State (Prestige: 74, ACC)
Budget: $602,500
Have been to the Sweet 16 four times but have never reached the Elite 8 in program history. Have made 3 NCAA appearances in the past seven years, but have never been able to get over the hump as a program. Obviously in Florida where recruiting might be easier to manage, too.

Seems like the likely outlet is to pursue a major conference gig, because she wants to prove she can still coach at a high level, especially since there are major conference gigs actually available. Because really, the only thing left to cement her legacy would be taking two schools to national titles.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 05-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote