View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #389
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
You don't think a 16-team Pac consisting of the old Pac-8 schools in one group and the Arizona schools joined by Colorado, Utah, Texas, Texas A&M, Nebraska & Oklahoma wouldn't increase the revenue per school for the entire conference?

Not to mention, a 16-team conference works out a lot better for scheduling than expanding to 12 does. With a 16-team conference, the old Pac-8 could be one division and all those schools would continue with a round-robin schedule (assuaging the issues the PNW schools have in potentially losing annual trips to LA) plus 1 or 2 rotating games with teams in the other division.

Well, that’s kind of my point. We have to create a perfect scenario before it starts to look good. And as far as your list goes, let’s dump Utah and bring along Oklahoma State to maintain the regional rivalries.

As far as generating more revenue with these new teams, it’s a bit of a chicken and the egg conundrum. It will be impossible for the Pac to pull those schools in without a lucrative TV contract, or their own network, and it will be impossible to negotiate those without having a proven commodity to bargain with. So the most likely scenario is that each school coming into the new Pac will have to take a leap of faith, signing up without really knowing how much revenue they will be gaining. It still makes sense for Utah to jump at it, and probably for Colorado too with the uneven TV distribution of the current Big-12, but not many other schools will be happy with that.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote