View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #64
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SEE THE DAY WHEN I'D WEAR THIS SHADE OF RED...

After the unexpected retirement of 65-year old Nebraska head coach Victoria Blackwell, the Huskers needed to find a head coach in September and didn't really know where to start. Most of their choices were assistants since it was too late for most head coaches to consider making the jump and with two young assistants, the program didn't feel comfortable elevating either to the Head Coach job even in an interim capacity.

When AD Chris Chriswell made the call to Sue Muldowney to see if she were interested in possibly coaching the Huskers for one season, he didn't expect her to take his call, much less accept the offer. But he felt like it was the right call to make.

"She's the best coach the state has ever seen. A living legend. I thought it might be the swan song she needed to really end her career on her terms, but selfishly, I thought it'd be a way for us to get a title too. If she could win here, man...she could probably be elected Governor. I mean, what are the odds?"

Well, he got his woman. In a move that shocked most of college basketball when it was announced, Sue Muldowney will take over as head coach of the Nebraska Huskers women's basketball team. The term for both is for one year, but no one felt comfortable suggesting that the winningest coach in the history of the game was labeled "interim."

"She can stay here as long as she wants, to be honest. We'll wheel her out. She just told us...ok, one more year. One more year, I can do that."

For her part, Muldowney believed the team had the right components for a title run. "I can honestly say I never thought I'd see the day when I'd wear this shade of red. Never did I imagine this would ever be possible. But when they called, I was out in the backyard working in my garden. My husband had just been teasing me a day earlier about how "you probably left a year too early, huh?" But I was satisfied with my life. I just thought this might be fun. And after 40 years, if I can say that doing it will be fun then you know I can handle another year."

When asked whether she thought it'd be awkward to face her former mates down the road in Kearney, she said no. "I love Kearney and my heart will always be with the Pronghorns. No one would fault me for that, given all we accomplished there. But at the end of the day, I'm a coach. And we're talking about just one year."

One year to pursue the unthinkable -- a tenth championship -- and for the Huskers, a chance to seal their legacy in the state, after being lapped by their little sisters on I-80 who have 8 national championship banners.

"No promises or anything. But it'll be fun to give it one last try."
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote