View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 11:59 PM   #4709
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don’t know about New York but I know my city’s distribution of officers is directly related to the volume of calls. So the “rich” areas tend to have significantly less police presence as there aren’t nearly as many calls for service.

NYC has a good deal more districts in Manhattan and Brooklyn (& Queens) than the Bronx, even though the Bronx has the highest crime of any borough (and it's population is similar to Manhattan). Part of it is undoubtedly wanting to make the touristy parts squeaky clean (like 5 years ago DeBlasio added 50 more cops to patrol Times Square even though it's well past time it's been cleaned up - while the Bronx still had issues, though it's much much better than it was in the 80s and 90s). This has led to the Bronx having slower 911 response times than the rest of the city as well. (Oh, and in case any of y'all are wondering there is no 99th precinct in Brooklyn)

On a side note, I was reading that between 1990 and 1999, NYC under Bratton and Guiliani increased police officers by 41%. The vast majority of those uniformed patrol officers. Seemingly Camden did similarly when it repurposed it's police force.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-04-2020 at 12:58 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote