View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #416
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Chattahoochee Gold Swim Banquet

The team swim banquet was held last night. Unfortunately, I can give much information as I didn't attend. Brett got home late afternoon from his 8th grade field trip to Savannah, right as the wife and twins were leaving for the banquet. He was exhausted from the trip and didn't want to go, so I stayed home with him.

As you may remember from last year, Bailey won the Gold Award for the 9/10 girls, and she presented the team trophy to this years winner and received her personal trophy to keep.

Surprisingly, Bear won the Gold Award this year for the 11/12 boys. This was suprising, not from the standpoint of he didn't deserve it, but more from the standpoint of typical team politics. I felt given that Bailey won last year, there was almost no way Bear would win this year. Moreover, half of the 10 winners came from the Cumming pool, so I figured there would be pressure to select a swimmer from one of the other 3 locations.

Regardless, I am very sorry I missed the presentation. The coach was extremely complementary of Bear's effort. In summarizing his presentation, the coach noted that at the beginning of the season Bailey was doing extremely well and was moved up to Sectional Advanced, but Bear wasn't ready for that move. However, Bear continued to work extremely hard, doing exactly what he was asked, they way he was asked and he was able to not only get to Secontional Advanced before the end of the season, he was swimming so well he earned 4 state medals. The coach went on to say that this is exactly the type of kid you want on your team, and that he really loved coaching Bear (at which point he genuinely got choaked up).

Bear was embarassed to get up on stage and when he got the trophy at the edge of the stairs to the stage, he immediately started to retreat to his seat, but the coach stopped him, ran across the stage and gave him a big hug. I'm extremely happy for Bear...

Unfortunately, when the wife and kids got home, Brett was very excited to talk about his trip to his mom, but when he saw Bear's trophy he was once again slapped in the face with the realilzation that the twins continue to get recognized for their efforts and successes while he continues to struggle. Couple that with the fact, Bailey was irrationally upset with him for a different issue and he basically clammed up and went to bed. I keep hoping all Brett's hardwork will start paying off soon.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote