View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up The Saunders Project (New football game dev log)

Now that Desktop Dynasties is officially released, it's time to start on the next project! I'm sticking to football since I learned a lot during the development of DD. I don't want to lose all that by waiting too long.

My process is very much "figure it out as I go", so dynasties work pretty well to look back on later. Also, I've been doing a lot of streaming on YouTube and posting on twitter but I've found that a good old-fashioned forum is really the way to go.

Plan for the Saunders Project:
  • Overall, the game is going to be a "Coaching RPG" with full college and professional league play.
  • 100% coach-mode.
  • Start at the bottom of the college league with a rookie coach, and develop your way to the top of the college/pro league. (hiring, firing, etc)
  • Integrated play and playbook designer. Somehow this is going to be based on your coaching skills.
  • Use the same basic visual in-game engine style as DD. 3D players, bright colors, bordering on "toon" style. (not the gritty realistic style a lot of the 3D engines are using)
  • 11-on-11 instead of the 8-on-8 game DD uses.
  • Not a tabletop game setting like DD. Make the players actual humans.
  • Multiplayer (most likely import/export system)
  • I will adjust the NFL/NCAA rules a bit to make the game a little more fun. There are a lot of things that annoy me about football, and I get to fix them now. (example: I hate penalties, so no penalties!)

My goal is to have something ready for Early Access by 4th of July weekend. Full launch before the college football season kicks off. (assuming I don't go broke and have to get a job before then)

First up, play creator!

GoldenCrest Games is offline   Reply With Quote