View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 07:22 AM   #3
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

It looks like all the tools works in the play creator now. Had to do some serious debugging because the previous version of the play creator wasn't designed to have both offense and defense on the field at the same time. That's a lot of variable management!

As you can see here, both offense and defense can be constructed simultaneously.

Few things to note here: (so you know what you're looking at as we keep progressing)
  • Circles under the offensive and defensive lines let you know what each player is doing. The o-line is pass blocking, so they get the blue. Run blocking is red. The DE are pass rushing, while the DT are run rushing. (I'm not settled on the actual colors yet, but that's how the system works)
  • CBs are in man defense. Their positioning isn't representative of who they are covering, though. The AI matches up man defenders on the appropriate receivers before the snap. If I were to run this play, there are a bunch of pre-snap reads that happen before I'm allowed to snap the ball.
  • Outside LBs are in zone defense. It's different than than the FS zone because the FS has an arrow at the top of his zone. That means he has deep zone responsibility while the LBs only cover the assigned zone depth.
  • One new feature that isn't in DD is the MLB with the small blue circle. He's in "Spy" defense on the QB. That's a new wrinkle added to defense due to the success of running QBs in DD.

• On offense, we're running a screen to WR1, with the WR on the opposite side as a bailout option. The dark green routes are screen blocking routes. This system works the same for running. Red routes are where the runner is supposed to go, while dark red means a lead block.

• If you ever see a white route, that's a non-AI route. (decoy receiving route or QB drop route) All that means is there is nothing for that player to do while he's running.
Some of the colors may change on receiver progressions, pass/run rush, and pass/run block. I'm pretty locked in on the rest.

That's the basics of the play creator visuals. Let me know if anything is unclear as I start progressing through this system.

Now let's see if we can get these guys actually playing out the play!