View Single Post
Old 03-14-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
GoldenCrest Games
High School Varsity

Thumbs up

Here's the plan for today. (somewhat stream of consciousness)

Need to get the QB to read if a receiver is open or not, and then make the throw. To do that, I need to get the following systems in place:
  • QB cycle through his passing progression. I'm going to use the same system as DD for this. In the play creator a receiver is given a progression number 1-5. Need to have the QB cycle through and come back to the 1 read when he's done.
  • Need to have a way for the QB to stay on a read for some amount of time, probably dependent on pass skill. I'll use a modified version of the DD system for this. Great QBs should cycle through progressions faster than bad QBs, so there needs to be a timer system that is based on passingSkill.
  • When a QB is on a read, he needs to do a "is he open" determination, so that needs to be created. I don't want to do this every frame, so this will also be based on a timer. Probably the decision timer. (different than the progression timer)
  • I can't have perfect read recognition this time, so there needs to be some sort of "incorrect" reads. I'm thinking of normal read error, some sort of gunslinger/confidence override for the QB, something that lets you force the ball to superstar WRs who have bad defenders covering them, ...... I think that's it. Error override, QB override, and WR override. Not sure how this gets implemented, though.
  • Need a system to allow the QB to pull down and run. I don't love the DD system, so I need to think of something else. Ideally I would have QBs with a lot of running ability take off earlier than the statues. I don't want the pocket passers just sitting there until they get killed, though. I also don't need pocket passers taking off running, only to get demolished by a waiting LB and then ending up injured. I probably need to implement a "throw the ball away" system this time. Maybe when the pocket timer runs out, there's a check to see if scrambling is viable. If not, just throw it away.
  • Throwing system is done, so that's good.
  • Probably need to set up the "in air adjustment" system for receivers and defenders. After the ball is thrown, start the adjustment timer for everyone else to see who can adjust to the ball while it's in the air.
  • Set the ball to kill the play when it hits the ground. I'll save catching for another time, after defense AI is implemented.

After all this is written, I'll have to do another stream to lay it down on tape. There's no defense, so I'll have to fake the funk a little bit on openness reads. That's easy enough to do.