View Single Post
Old 07-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #89
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

May Training -- Adie(Tactics) is a positive but we have negatives with Kasipmabin, Urwan, and Ewangin on fitness. Second time in three months for Ewangin so we have a chat about it.

5.2 vs. Persid(0-0-1, 4th) Win and we're in. It's that simple. We'd be four points up on Persid with one to play, an insurmountable lead. A draw and they could still catch us on the final weekend. Victory would also guarantee us a chance of catching Perskid for the top spot and final placement in the last game.

We feel we have better chances to attack against them, so we won't start out conservatively as we did last time though I'll adjust things based on how it goes like usual. With Herlan and Yarangga both sitting this one out(though Bayhaqi is now available again but limited), we'll be weak in midfield.

In the prematch presser they ask if Imam Bayhaqi will play(touch and go), nervousness about our biggest match of the year(of course), and my pick for Young Player of the Year(gotta be Sutanto right?)

We've been made solid 4-5 favorites. This, today, is our chance. We won't get another one like it. Somebody's going to be a hero or a goat(or both): whose day will it be?? The whole team's in excellent spirits -- we're as ready as we're gonna get. I tell t hem I expect them to go out and win promotion today -- Ewangin got fired up about that.

4' -- Yogi to Ewangin in the area, thought sure he was going to shoot but he hits the trailer Adie as he's cut off. Adie's looper from just inside the area was saved easily ... another chance missed.

5' -- We get a corner and Adie delivers it far post, headed out for a second try. He delivers it far post again, Muda gets to it among several players but heads high from about 8 yards out. Not a bad try.

7' -- Cross by Permana on their first rush, tipped over by Ferminus and they'll get a corner now. It goes to the near post, Yogi and their attacker Arufin get there at the same time, it bounces in! Well, that's about as bad a start as we could have gotten today, we trail 0-1

13' -- They hand us a corner with an errant routine backpass. It's cleared and we hold it in, then turn it over before we can get anything working. We're doing a solid job with possession but they're fighting us fairly hard for it. Not sure which way that battle will go yet.

18' -- Permana beats Kombo up the right like he's standing still, but Ferminus blocks out the angled shot. Still, I've seen enough of that, we're going to watch him closely and play a deeper line. Ferminus grabs the corner, and we repeat our earlier miss by Muda on the other end.

22' -- Another corner as they get in the way of a blast by Ewangin. Nothing.

24' -- Sutanto gets a crack from just outside, blasts one at the left corner ... off the crossbar! They call a foul on Persid in the aftermath, but it's outside the area so Adie will take a freekick. One time. High and wide. Not this time I guess. That shot by Sutanto was as close as we can get without scoring.

36' -- We've continued to control the action and get nothing for it. Adie gets another freekick, perfect position straight on maybe two yards outside. Blocked by the wall, swings it left to Ningmabin who has a look but right at Kusuma for the easy save.

39' -- Turnover as Saragih makes the interception on a lazy cross. Sutanto a through ball up the gut to Yogi, he draws two and leads Ewangin into the area with one man to beat. He's got a half-step, fires it on the bounce from just inside and that's over the diving arms of Kusuma on the right side! We tie it up at 1, and we're very much alive here!!

41' -- Great chance to add another one, Saragih passes up a good shot to give Yogi a better one but the pass is behind him and we get no shot. Smart play, just needed that one last pass to be better and he would have had a great look.

They trip Yogi and Adie has a freekick from 30+. He loops it in and Kusuma is right there.

HT -- Even at 1-1, but we're playing well enough to win(10-2 shots, 58% possession). I tell them to keep it up and the result will come. With more confidence than I actually possess. Over time, the law of averages says yes that will happen, but we don't have a big sample size -- we have this one half to stake our claim.

They move it on right away and Permana's speed gets an opening for a cross -- Patay is there with a big header to clear it.

47' -- Another freekick, well hit line-drive by Adie and Kusuma is there.

48' -- Transitions are sloppy with both sides throwing it around. A scramble in the area ends up in a weak shot by Saragih that's easily taken.

They're battling harder and more effectively for the ball this half.

55' -- Yogi just outside the area, nice lead pass for Sutanto who breaks at the right time and he's free at the edge of the box, first-time shot is by Kusuma before he can dive for it! 2-1, and we're now less than 40 minutes from the Premier Division!! Yogi made both plays happen, he's picked one heck of a match to bring top-notch trigger man skills.

57' -- Permana's loose for a bit on the left side, but Saragih tackles it out for a corner. It goes to Maliki at the far corner of the box, he heads it across ... Sutanto and Sandi collide and neither controls it ... Kombo gets to the clearance!! Phew.

60' -- Bad throw-in on their end but we give it right back, we defend just well enough and Saputra finally intercepts one in the area and we're back the other way. Bad cross by Saragih ... the cycle repeats. Arifin's cross has to be tipped out by Ferminus, and another corner.

I'm going to have heart attack before this one is over. I know it. We clear it though.

65' -- Long header by Sutanto, nice try but it really had no chance.

67' -- Adie puts one right at Kusuma on a 35 free. We hold it in and Saragih crosses from the right side ... Kusuma tips it, jump ball at the far post ... Sutanto's scored twice on similar plays but he can't get this one.

75' -- We have another corner and it's time to play keepaway and protect the lead. Adie comes out for Prasetyo, we'll go 5-2-2-1. Bayhaqi's on for Ewangin as well. A third decent shot at a header for Muda, a third goes high. He's consistent.

80' -- They have a corner. Less than 15 minutes. Less than 15 minutes. Less than 15 ... Muda clears. Miss more headers if you can defend now.

85' -- We pass it around forever, looking for an opening, Saragih crosses, Sutanto heads it from right in front, perfect angle but Kusuma dives to make the save just before it can go in. Gotta applaud that, I thought we had an insurance score there.

We hear it from the fans though who love the patience and execution on the attacking move.

86' -- They're getting desperate now and Rofiq fires high from at least 30.

88' -- They head it toward goal from the edge of the area ... Muda is there to head it away to Saputra who nods it on ... and a bad pass by Yogi gives it right back.

ARGHZORZ!!

Chaos reigns in midfield for a few stressful minutes as neither club can gain control for long.

92' -- Ningmabin launches one into orbit from the edge, just because he felt the need to I guess.

93' -- Bayhaqi with a corner, Sutanto comes flying in and is just beat out to the ball. Later, Yogi gets a header in front but puts it just wide.

A final clearance by Prasetyo, and it's over!

FT -- We win 2-1, a solid victory after the initial disaster and it's now official: Persigubin are going up to the Indonesian Premier Division in 2015/16!! Yogi is the unequivocal player of the day, with Sutanto definitely more than worthy of an honorable mention. Another fine day by Saragih in defense, he has really come on espescially as a crosser in the attacking phase.

The board declares getting promotion to be a 'quite unbelievable achievement' and calls my performance 'remarkable', hoping I'll stick around for many years.

Really?? Then OFFER ME A FREAKING NEW CONTRACT ALREADY!!!!

Ewangin also directed credit my way.

Ironically, this was not even our biggest attendance of the year(329).

All of this is not lost on the press who begin by asking if I'll be here next year, pointing out the uncertainty of my contract. I'm tempted to take the high road here, but I've always been a straight shooter. I decide there's nothing wrong with putting pressure on the board, and point out they've had all the time in world to give me a new deal and time is running out. They went on to blather on about how we don't foul much(except for Yarangga), our comeback, Sutanto's goal and other matters.

Persibom wins as well, 3-1, and they have all but clinched promotion. They would have to lose and have Persidago win big on the final game to not make it.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote