View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #100
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

10.22 -- Klijn has notified me that he'll let me stay, says the club leadership is strongly behind me and he's been persuaded to let me keep my job.

Thanks. Since you're showing yourself reasonable, about that contract ...

Oh, go piss up a rope? Thank you ever so much, the feeling is mutual. *Sigh*.

10.25 @ Madiun Putra(2-0-0) This is as big as it gets this early in the year. They've won their games 4-1 and 4-0, so nobody has challenged them yet. It's a chance to see if our dramatically improved defense is really all it's cracked up to be. They are even-money favorites to take this clash.

Naturally we'll start with a semi-conservative countering strategy and see how things unfold.

3' -- A weak long shot by Yogi is the first look of the day. Good start for us.

6' -- Hambali is called for a foul as we try to get free for a shot edge of the area. Free kick from Bayhaqi is high, a yellow is assessed.

13' -- Two defenders converge on Kotto, and Talaha is open just inside the area, blasts it but wide. Best chance for either side so far.

23' -- Pretty even so far, though they are starting to look more dangerous. A pass up to Sutanto is blocked, Bayhaqi goes for it again but all we get is a long volley well off target.

26' -- Oh. My. Goodness. Sutanto has it 12 yards out after a ball squirts free, but Hariyanto goes flat and he's too close, can't get the ball around him. Bayhaqi fires the rebound, deflected away by one of their defenders, and they clear. Two shots there, all we needed to do was get one through the traffic and we couldn't do it.

32' -- Great patience in moving it around, finally Bayhaqi gets a look from just outside, high and wide.

38' -- Saputra to Sutanto, heads it to Yogi over the middle. His volley from the edge is floated over the keeper's head and into the right side, fantastic control on that, and we're in the lead again, 1-0!!

41' -- Kotto gets loose at the edge of the box, they find him ... wide left!! Oh man, we just handed them a goal and they refused to take it!

HT -- That near-goal was Patay, so Prasetyo comes on for him. Otherwhise, we just need to keep doing what we are doing.

47' -- We work it for an angled shot for Yogi from the right side, keeper in position and defender right on him, he's just wide with that.

49' -- Quick counter from one end to the other, Bayhaqi moves in edge of the area, he's got Yogi ahead on the left and they converge ... chips it over the keeper and in! I thought for sure he was going to hit Yogi, but he just lofted that one over, and it's 2-0!!

51' -- Muda goes down at midfield. Urwan comes on, he'll take the right and Saragih will move inside.

55' -- Race for a free ball in the area, Bayhaqi goes for it, tripped by Arfan at the edge ... and he's not going to get away with it! Red card, he's sent off and we're now up two goals, an extra man, and Bayhaqi will get a freekick as close as they can get. Line drive, but somewhat high.

58' -- Wicaksono from an extreme angle on the right, Syarif blocks it. Big header by Kombo clears the corner, Wijaya tries to fire one through traffic but misses right.

60' -- They lead ahead to Wicaksono behind the defense, he takes too long to gather himself and Kombo makes a saving tackle. I pull the line back even further, there's no need to risk anything here. It's too late in this case, the corner goes to Wicaksono, on the doorstep at the near corner and he outjumps everyone to put it home. 2-1 now, they may be a man down but we have to kill another half-hour.

64' -- Wicaksono open in the area, inexplicably pauses and Prasetyo takes it away. Still, they are cutting us up pretty good right now.

Counter the other way. Herlan, to Sutanto, to Yogi. He's up the left side, no angle he'll center it ... no he fires it on goal, I don't know how Hanibowo missed that one but it sneaks in! He was 15 yards away, sharp angle, and it looked like the keeper was leaning near-post and Yogi went the other way, but still a shocker. 3-1 now!!

68' -- Dangerous cross, lucky that Syarif was able to scoop that one up.

71' -- Good long freekick by Arii, Syarif just got that one with a diving grab.

72' -- Horrible defense, Wicaksowo from just inside the area, misses wide. Very unimpressed with how we've played this second half.

75' -- Dangerous possession but we can't get a clear look, Bayhaqi has a shot blocked and Yogi goes down no call. Easily could have had another there.

83' -- Another long freekick by Arey, not close.

FT -- Huge road win, we take it 3-1!! Sutanto assisted on all three goals, making him narrowly player of the game over Yogi and his two scores. No question we were a bit fortunate in this one, but we were also good and still the better team. Madiun Putra coach Uut Kuswendi stated there is no way that red card should have been awarded and that we are regularly getting the benefit of controversial calls, suggesting there is bias in our favor.

He can suggest whatever he wants. For now, I just want to keep this run going as long as we can. At the moment, we are the surprise team to beat in Group D, and I intend to keep it that way. Going back to last year, we have now set a new club record for consecutive wins at six straight!
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote