Thread: F*^$ Cancer
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not a post I wanted to type but y'all have been here so here goes

Some of you know that the past few months they've been trying to figure out what combination of arthritis & osteoparosis was causing my wife to have increasing pain & difficult walking. Maybe 10-14 days ago, her regular ortho doc shot the knee with cortisone but to limited effect, meaning likely a hidden muscle tear (as that downgraded arthritis as the cause).

Sunday morning as she shuffled her way to the bathroom with her cane, her right leg simply gave out / quit. Luckily she landed on a large footstool. A couple hours of figuring how, we got her to the ortho, expecting the muscle tear to be obvious.

Instead, what x-rays revealed was a sizable lesion at the top of her right femur. Ortho was frank that it was almost certainly a sign of bone cancer & that her femur was so compromised that it could snap at any moment.

He did some back channel work, got Emory to agree to take her in through the E.R. (since that's where her cancer docs already are). We delivered her around 7p Sunday. 16 hours later we get a sliver of hope and some not so good news.

First, there is at least a CHANCE -- however slim -- that the mishapened bone mass could turn out benign. Unlikely, but at least POSSIBLE.

Bad news: somewhere between x-rays in athens & x-rays at emory, her femur snapped, right at the very top just short of where it go to the hip. Surgery is planned for later today to repair that.

There are a ton of obvious questions -- about what this is, when it began, why it took months to be found -- that I have no answers for at this point. Nor do I have the luxury of worrying about.

This is by far the worst scenario we've faced and the outlook seems very grim.

Will & I are home - after a night in the nearby hotel - waiting further updates on the surgery and whatever else they may tell us.

Information has been sparse, the only update we got between 7p & 6a was that she got a morphine shot around 10p. The next was that she was transferred to Emory Midtown (the old Crawford Long I believe) from Emory Main (Decatur) as that's where they've put all the bone docs. We didn't get anything else until nearly noon when a kind switchboard operator on the ICU floor came out to our car, got wife's phone charger & marched it in to her (battery had died somewhere around midnight)

That's when her duty nurse (who failed to answer 3 calls and 2 messages) happened to come in & was able to give us most of what I've shared here.

Information flow has been abysmal, the staff is mostly surly (aside from that angel of a phone answerer), and we're twisting in the wind by & large. Wife said virtually all her treatment had been similar thus far

Things look & feel pretty bleak here, your prayers are much appreciated.

edit to add: for those of you who engage me on other platforms, please keep this quiet. The circle that are aware is extremely small & I hope to keep it that way until such time as she indicates any other intention.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-14-2020 at 01:06 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote