View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #115
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Are we better at this than other humans? Or is this about laws and rules that we should implement? Should we have a "War on Guns"? A "War on religion"? I'm with Jon...I dont have any answers for this sort of extreme violence. The "War against hate" and the "War against racism" are clearly failing, so maybe we need more rules...laws...more police...more profiling?

What is the solution?

I don't agree with the bolded statement.

I think our society is much more open and accepting of those different than they are now then they have ever been in the past, especially in richer nations where mass communication and ease of travel is more prevalent and brings into more direct contact with different people.

It's a mistake, IMO, to take incidents like these and extrapolate from that that the war against racism or hate is failing. These are individual incidents, for the most part, and do not reflect the general feelings of society. Much as Islamic terrorism doesn't reflect the actual feelings of most Muslims.

Humans naturally fear those who are different than they are (it's basically evolutionary, back to the caveman days when it was actually a matter of survival that those unlike you were probably going to try to kill you), and hate often comes hand in hand with fear. One of the best ways to conquer fear is immersion in the source of that fear. The more we communicate, the more we understand and the less we fear those who are different than us. That is happening, thanks to the Internet, among other things.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote