View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #126
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Edit: One thing that seems to be relatively lacking in the rhetoric this time around is the gun control rants. I think that goes towards this battle over how we're going to characterize this. The gun control rantings generally are about keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, and here, there is a huge effort to disclaim the possibility of mental illness. I think just because the victims were targeted we want to assign as much meaning to the actions as possible.

That's because it's completely unambiguous. He was a felon that used a loophole to get his gun without a background check (closing this loophole polls at 90+ percent), and a Christian church is literally the one place where even the truest of true "patriots" could not argue that there needed to be some armed good guy there who could have prevented it.

And if you want to go down the "well criminals will always find a way to illegally obtain guns" path, keep in mind that you're talking about a person who had planned for months to gun down defenseless people at a shopping mall before deciding that a church would be the safer way to go about things. I'd take my chances with letting someone like that try to navigate the criminal underworld.

Last edited by nol : 06-19-2015 at 06:01 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote