View Single Post
Old 06-19-2015, 10:00 PM   #143
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Make it illegal to own them, and offer a cash buy-back program to get the ones out there. There will always be guns out there - and making it illegal would boost the amount of illegal guns coming over the border - but it would significantly cut down on gun-related deaths in the long run.

Would it? As I mentioned before, handguns were illegal in Chicago. When they were banned, murders actually went up (now I don't think this law was the cause, just saying it didn't significantly reduce murders).

A large chunk of gun crime in this country is done by people who are illegally carrying a firearm. The law obviously means nothing to them. And acquiring an illegal firearm is easy.

As long as there is a lawless 3rd world country bordering us it's going to be tough. Just ask all the people trying to eliminate narcotics. And remember that the people who want to eliminate these guns are the same people who don't want to tighten up that border.

I'm all for figuring out solutions to lowering gun crime but the people most passionate about it don't have answers, just smug remarks. It's the equivalent of holding up a peace sign as your answer to stopping world conflicts.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote