View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #2675
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I thought this was a terrific game. I think I made two key errors, one major and one minor. More on that in a second.

Alan, did you have any idea I would take the sports bettor role the way I did? Did you see there was a way for me to actually run a business with it or did I surprise you with that? I was wondering all along if you intended me to do that.

The betting was a neat side thing for this game, but unfortunately, hardly anyone took advantage of it. Lathum lost $100 on the first day, and I returned a $20 st. cronin bet to him when he wanted to go against the bettors bet (and he would have won; Lathum and I lost). kingfc was the big winner. He went in with me with $400 on the Blazers in the third game. LSG was the final bettors. We lost when the Lakers lost a few days ago. I bet every day I was alive. I had a victory goal of $10,000 and I started with $500. Losing the KState game hurt, because I lost most of my start up money. I turned $100 into almost $2500, though with the five straight wins, so I thought I could still make a victory condition if I lived a couple more days. And then that Lakers double OT loss. Stupid Lakers.

I was then converted to good (BTW, Narcizo, I was good the day you died, so you did vote for a good guy), so I only had to make $3000 (but help good win). I won a blind five-to-one bet to get a lot of my Lakers losses back, but I died the next day, so I didn't get to my goal (either one actually).

I am surprised more people didn't bet. I think they were being overly cautious with their money. It's there to be spent.

Now to my mistakes. It boils down to the same thing. Emotion. I let my emotions color my normally rational outlook. My minor mistake involved sndvls. I should have questioned his role, which wasn't in the list. The bsak attack on himw as key to that, so good move there by bsak. I was fooled. The main thing, though, was near the end sndvls coming out so strongly for me. That should have raised red flags with me. I mean, everyone and their mother suspected me; why would me sending him a gun convince him of my honesty? But I was just so glad to see someone, anyone, actually believe me after all the bickering with Blade that I bought into it.

My major mistake goes to Blade, and I think we're both equally responsible for that. I think we were the focus of the game for much of the middle to end stretch. We were so polarizing among the remaining players, that they couldn't focus on anything except our back-and-forth and trying to prove the other was evil. Blade frustrated me in this game because I kept presenting some logical conclusions on why I wasn't evil, but he was absolutely convinced I was. I was torn on being open, but not too open, because I thought the mafia would come after me if they knew I had the gun that would used to kill hoopsguy and/or Tyrith. So Blade was also asking about things I couldn't risk revealing, and that made me seem more cagey. His focus on me only turned me to focusing on him, and so emotion again clouded my judgment. Obviously, it would have been quite a turn for Blade to have been evil after all. But he was so gung ho on me when I wasn't evil at all, it made me think he was going after me so strong to hide the fact he was evil or divert attention from other mafia. Reality was, it was good versus quasi-good, and we gave Sndvls the under-the-radar corridor that he needed.

BTW, Alan, where did the gun and gem come from? Who dropped them? Was the gun used in crimes, such as hoopsguy's or Tyriths murders?

I, too, would hope this isn't Jon Ezarik's last WW game. I don't know if it is something personal, but I hope he would look past that. He's a good player, and I enjoy playing with him.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote