View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
digamma
Torchbearer

Right on Hereford, Left on Boylston (A Boston Marathon Training Log)

Maybe I'll write a little more later on the background here, but at least a few of us on the board have qualified and are running (or are planning to run) the Boston Marathon in April.

I started my final training plan this morning, and as a way to hold myself to it, I thought I'd keep something of a log here.

I'm using a Greg McMillan Training Plan, very similar to what I used when I ran my qualifying marathon last September. It's a 12 week plan with 5 runs a week. I also supplement this with a day of strength/speed training at a gym called Fly Feet Running. I'll taper off of that program as we get closer to race day.

Also I live in Minnesota and it's not lost on me that I'll be starting my training in January. Many of my miles (probably a majority or substantial majority) will be treadmiles.

Day 1
Plan: 40-50 minute easy run

Something like 70% of my miles will be easy miles. I have to hold myself to that. The others will be fairly high intensity miles.

I ran two 5-k'ish routes on my tread, with speed set at either 7.7 or 7.8, which converts into a 7:45ish pace, which is a very comfortable run for me right now. First route was a London map route, fairly flat with some quick climbs at the end. Then in the spirit of Boston, my second route was the BAA 5-K route which runs through a good bit of the Back Bay and crosses over the marathon finish line.

As intended the run was easy.

Miles: 6.25
Time: 48:32

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote